Friday, November 15, 2013

"I like to reminisce with people I don't know." ~ Steven Wright, Comedian

Today is promise kept Friday, November 15, 2013. What promise? The one involving the notorious FFA jacket. That one. Oh yeah! You folks think I make this stuff up, don't you? Well, I might be prone to embellish some in the reporting of the story details now and then, but, when it comes to a challenge to my ability to still comport myself as I did during the early 1960's, well, I have to rise to the occasion. Okay. I didn't zip it up. Jackets that stay in storage for long periods of time do tend to shrink. See. You learn something new every day. Also, in 1961, when I got that jacket, I was 15. (As in this formula: 15 + 52 = 67) The wife gloated quietly, thankfully. In fairness, I must also disclose that most of the medals reflect on my ability to be tested on paper regarding all things agriculture and animal husbandry. Our high school chapter did do numerous field trips to assist farmers and ranchers, but, for the most part, I was an observer rather than an actor.  When it came to the hands on portion I left that to the farm and bull riding boys who seemed to enjoy climbing off into the hog pen. I was a book reader and test taker participating in different competitions and rallies. I didn't have the wearing of that jacket on my bucket list because I don't have a bucket list or any other bucket to put it in, or something like that.

Exactly what it looked like!
There are many conundrums in life. (Confusing and difficult problems or questions.) I get the part about how it's melt in your mouth good, but why didn't they warn me about the bulge in my belly? I could have listened to Paw Paw Mac because he firmly believed in the push away method. He said eat only what you should and then push away from the table. He would even demonstrate if one needed to see how to do it. One fellow observed how that that children are a blessing in old age, and after all is said and done, they should be since they did their part in getting you there. Enjoying the fruit of your labor is like the old saying: Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice. A recent sermon reminded us that life is not about operating on the basis on what we do not have, but rather, it is using that which God has given to live life as He would have us to live. I remember teaching my wife how to drive a stick shift in our brand new VW Karmann Ghia back in 1966. Another lesson learned: If your wife wants to learn how to drive, do not stand in her way. Get it? I thought so.

The previous paragraph is what I might call brain fog filler. (Stuff you write about when you can't come up with anything better.) That car reminds me of how people always say you should have hung on to that one because it is now a collector car. Thanks. Most people already know you can save 15% on your auto  insurance. Sorry. Brain fog again. Sure. We all should have kept our older cars. That Karmann Ghia had 200,000 miles on it when we finally got rid of it. Our kids were walking around with backs shaped like the letter 'C' from riding in that car. It was literally worn out. You had to keep the engine revved to keep the lights bright enough to see where you were going at night. But, it would have been wonderful if we could have kept it, and, oh yes, especially had we kept it like it was in that photo. That would be nice. However, life happens. You knew that one too? I should have known because I do have a very bright audience of readers. Thanks for letting me share. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and, come Monday, I will try to be somewhere listening for my name. Amen.  .....More later.

No comments: