Tuesday, November 12, 2013

“Social media has infected the world with a sickening virus called vanity.” ― Kellie Elmore, Poet

Okay. It's Tuesday, November 12, 2013, and it's time to get down to business. I know about Peeps Easter marshmallow candy. I know about the use of the word peep as in the first peep of dawn. And, yes, I know that peeps is also used to represent people. In fact, it's amazing how many people call those who read what they post on Facebook or Twitter, their peeps. Well, seeing a number of grandma's using it that way made me check into where it came from. It actually represents a shortened version of the word people. Who knew? Things like that along with all the abbreviations used is enough to cause one to be dizzy. All those letters either proceeded by or followed by some type of punctuation mark, whew, no wonder I've never got into texting on my cell phone. Then you have those who have made up their own codes. Good luck with that one. I heard one writer say it's interesting that a social media networking facility like Facebook designed initially for college students has now been overrun by quilting grannies. Facebook doesn't mind at all. To the tune of billions. That's right. With a B.

I haven't forgotten that little exchange I had with the wife about me putting on my old FFA jacket. When I told that little story about her asking if I had planned on zipping it up, the boys here nearly fell out on the floor laughing. Hey! Who do they think I am? Uncle Si? Or what? I thought it was good for perhaps a chuckle but way too much laughing if you ask me. I've come up with a plan. It involves me fetching that jacket, putting it on, and, yes, zipping it up. I forget what the exact size of that jacket is but here's how I intend to deal with any real danger. I'll get one of the grand kids to hold the phone with a 9 and a 1 already pressed. That way they will only have to add another 1 to activate the emergency response alert. Okay. Just messing around. I already know I can zip that dude up without a problem. The only issue will be how long I can hold my breath.

I guess my wife is right about one thing. I do tend to put things off. I think I must have gotten a double dose of the procrastination gene. I typically look at it as mulling things over, thinking about them, and using analysis and review before deciding to decide. There are things that are worthy of intense deliberation. Others not so much. I think, for me, I have this idea that if I wait long enough maybe it will either go away or take care of itself. Most of the time that's not how it works. I probably need to do something about it but I wouldn't want to make any sudden changes. I'll think about thinking about it. Seriously, being aware of our own personal quirks and knowing we need to do better is always preferable to staying stuck in a trap of our own making. Okay. So, I will do my best to do better in responding sooner to those things that require a decision and action. Or, at the very least, I now feel better having had this little conversation about it. Thanks for being a good listener. Have a great Tuesday and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: