Monday, June 4, 2012

What every person in this old world really needs.

Hello and welcome back. It's Monday, June 4, 2012, and I do hope you had a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Last Friday morning I was in the mood for some Christmas music. Thanks to the internet there are dozens of stations that play nothing but Christmas music. I listened to some being streamed from Belgium. On other days I have to get me some Celtic Christian to help frame my day. Or, you can always listen to the Scriptures being read. I still check in with a talk radio program in Brisbane, Australia from time to time. Why? It's a small world after all. You've heard that one before? But, it really is and when you hear people there calling in and complaining about the cost of petrol, the cost of groceries, and the lack of employment opportunities, and how messed up the government is, well, it lets us know that we do have commonality. We are all essentially in the same race. It's called the human race. If you listen to some of the commercial stations from London one thing sticks out. They do have mega traffic issues there and they are constantly breaking in with problems of all sorts. That happens here. That happens in LA, New York City, or Hong Kong. The now more than 7 billion folks that breathe air on our planet get up every day and do their best to make it, one more day. What's their greatest need? It's the same one that we have. They need to know that in a world messed up with all the problems that can be imagined, the God who loves them has provided a Savior who can change them for time and eternity. Amen.

My wife and I have been hanging out together since 1962. She was gone last week for three days on a visit over to Louisiana. I missed her. That's right. I still miss her when she is not at home. I'm glad she got to go because every time she can be with her two brothers and sister, it's a good time.When she returned we were talking about just how long all of us have been making this journey together. Before we were married we attended her family Christmas in her older brother Cleon's home. Cleon impressed me even way back then. He was accepting. He was genuine. And, he is still that way today. When we were first married for some reason her brother Milton and I were on a fishing trip together. I remember we lay there on the bank of Lake Vernon and talked most of the night away. The subject? The Bible. He was a young preacher and even at that time I thought I knew a whole lot more than I really did about God's Word. (I've since learned just how little I do know!) Marilyn and her sister Dorothy have always been especially close. We used to tease them about being twins born 18 months apart. Not one iota of difference in that scenario today. Dorothy's husband Charles and I always had our jobs in common. He was in computers and so was I. When Charles' dad passed away he left a computer engineering job in Dallas and moved his family back to his home place. He had some rough days finding solid employment but he persevered and built a very successful career as a computer professional working at Fort Polk. We've all shared many laughs together, and yes, as a family, we have had our moments of tears. Quite a group. Quite a journey. And, what a blessing! Amen.

It's that time of year when school ends and the summer recess begins. We cannot but thank God for all the hard work and the corresponding accomplishments achieved by our progeny. Our grandchildren are a talented lot and wrapped up in the abilities they have been given is an amazing amount of potential. So many of them have achieved academic distinctions, some have succeeded in athletics, and others excelled in their musical talents. Yes. Like most families, ours is about as diverse as you can imagine. Differences that are rooted in their personal make-up. Differences that will lead them into the future. I'm not going to try and name all the accolades each of them have achieved but I will express my thankfulness to God for them all, and yes, I too swell up with that sense of pride that we all feel when we see our kids do well. God has a plan for each of them and it includes them doing the best with the opportunities afforded to them. They all are constantly on my heart and mind and each day I call each of them by name before the Lord. That's what their Poppy does and my prayer is for God's protection and direction as they make their way forward. Now it is on to the summer where they will be getting in some R & R. Great job kiddos. We love you all. MiMi and Poppy.             ....More later.

No comments: