Thursday, June 21, 2012

I'm so looking forward to finding out where 'here' is.

Hello once again and welcome. It is Thursday, June 21, 2012. My eldest son gave me a portable GPS device for Father's Day. I am to a certain extent geographically challenged. He is probably more aware of that than most. I've called him many times and asked him to help me decide where I was and how I could get from wherever that was to wherever I was supposed to be. So far that system has worked pretty well but now I will have my own little directional finder that can help me to get on down the road. He told me he had talked with the sales person and he chose the one the fellow thought would be the easiest to use. That's a good thing. Because it fits my second condition, being gadget challenged. When I opened the box I noticed there was no instruction manual. Nothing. Just the device and the warranty and the connector. Hello? I called my son. He said it was probably because of how easy it is to use and that when I turn it on it will all be right there and I should have no problems at all. I know that he knows me better than that. But, I am very glad to have this little smart box because to tell you the truth, making those u-turns where they don't have any can be quite challenging in and of itself especially when it is accompanied by a chorus of cars honking their horns. I don't mind the music so much but it's those gestures. They all had better be glad Granny Mac wasn't around because she wouldn't put up with that kind of ugly stuff for one minute. I tried out my new gizmo and it works great, on a trip that I already knew where I was going. Soon I will use it to plot my journey to the regions beyond, or maybe across town, whichever one comes first.

Growing up in a rural town. Going hunting and fishing often. And, you still can't seem to figure out directions. There is a reason I didn't get past the Tender Foot badge in Boy Scouts. But, we all have things we do well and then we have the other stuff. My problem is in figuring out the stuff that I'm good at. As best I can tell I am a work in progress and as the children's song says: "He's still working on me to make me what I need to be." I'm sure there are those around who could give some input about some of the areas I have that are in need of improvement. I've never liked to dwell on those. They are just too depressing. Most of you know exactly what I mean. You do. I know you do. In fact, one of my favorite things in my whole life is to have someone mistakedly think that I know a lot about something or that I have great expertise in an area I really don't have a clue about. This is what I call the figment of their imagination identity syndrome. Even the Bible says that at times if we keep our mouths closed people will think us to be smart which is much better than opening up and proving them wrong. (See Proverbs 17:28) Part of my job each day is to deal with people who do know what they are talking about. They don't know that I don't. They assume that I do. I do not go out of my way to inform them otherwise. I know enough and thankfully most of the time we get to a resolution and everyone is happy. I think that's how the stories are supposed to end. Right?

I am picking up a new skill as I am growing older. I am becoming more and more clumsy. I've never been clumsy before. I've never been one to drop things. I've never had to chase pills or pill bottles here, there, and over yonder as they slip out of my hands. Maybe I have awakened the slapstick gene. I would just as soon he stayed asleep. Proabably the most funny part is when I try to act as if what is happening is not a result of me being clumsy. Sure. Like folks will think I am getting ready for the Olympics when they see me dive for a pill bottle. Tying my shoes is a whole lot better than asking someone to get down on the floor to help me find my baby aspirin. Those dudes come ready to jump. Right out of my hand. Why do they have to be so small? Oh. That's right. They are 'baby' aspirin, low dosage, and all of that. Maybe they could make them huge and fill up the pill with something else. But then I would be writing about how that pills are so large I've started choking. It's a tough world folks. A tough world indeed. I'm really thankful that this is not an everytime event and I've heard others testify that it is a normal part of that proverbial 'aging process'. Best I recall I never gave any of this a second thought when I was young. What? That's how it works? All and all I can only end up each day being thankful for God's provision even in the hand full of meds I take to keep this machine going. Amen and Amen.              .....More later.

No comments: