Monday, June 25, 2012

Computers can never replace user frustrations!

Good morning and howdy. I send you greetings from my little digital front porch over to your little digital front porch. It is Monday, June 25, 2012. While my computer is slightly better today, so far, over the past several days I have been in the midst of some horiffic problems. The kind that bring a blue screen. I like the color blue but when it occurs midstream in the middle of trying to get your work done, it's not so pretty. I fear that it may be a permanent error, perhaps on the disk drive. Man, I hate it when that happens. I've run all the stuff I know about to try and detect and repair but it runs for a little while and then BAM it hangs up and it takes an act of congress to get it going again. We all know how slow congress moves to get anything done. The problem is intermittant but the failures are coming closer and closer together. Frustrating? You know it is! The kind where if we had some x-ray photography you could probably see smoke coming out of my ears. Yeah, I hear what some of you are saying. "Now honey, remember, that doesn't do it or you any good at all. We thought you were the guy who told everyone not to sweat the small stuff and to always remember that most of the stuff we fret over turns out, in the grand scheme of things, to be pretty small." Thank you so much for reminding me of that. You showed up and rained on my little private pitty party just when I was reaching that 'get down and wallow in it' phase. But, I do thank you.

I do wince when someone says their computer being down doesn't bother them. They say it's no big deal. NO BIG DEAL? Well, that's not the way it works with me. It just happens to be a really big deal as I typically am actively engaged with my computer when sitting at my desk, working on a multitude of tasks, let's see, I'll be conservative here, maybe at least 60 minutes out of every hour. People call me and ask if I received their request or did I get the information I asked them for or have I had time to look at their drawings. That's where the smoke comes from as that small stuff begins to smolder. You know I'm mostly kidding. Mostly. The only thing worse that I can think of is having to change to a new machine. I bond with my computer. We become a team. When moving to a different machine is the only way out, I do dread having to say goodbye. But it may have to happen. When it does I will be singing a variation of that old country song, "Thank God and Greyhound, he's gone." I do hope you recognize that most of this episode was written tongue in cheek. Most. Even when the story is intended to be sarcastic humor, there's still that ring of reality that comes through.

Our 6 year old grandson Alex woke up from a nap the other day to discover the electrical power was out. No TV. No XBox. No internet. He was, to say the least, a very unhappy camper. What do grandparents do to help bring understanding to these types of situations? Of course, we explain how we had it growing up where we had no cartoons except on Saturday mornings, no computer games to play, and no email or internet or cell phone. Then we kick it up a notch. We start talking about no air conditioning and how that our parents growing up didn't even have indoor plumbing. Next thing I know I have invoked the fact that I used to take a bath in a washtub and I shared the water with my other brothers. I left off the walking to school in the blizzard because I think even Alex could recognize when it is getting a little deep. Now this I know, he may only be six but he has the eye rolling down pat. After taking all of this wealth of historical knowledge in, his only reply: "Poppy when can I watch Sponge Bob?" It's good to know that I got through to him. Hello? But last week there were many times sitting in front of this computer when I was wondering the exact same thing. Have yourself a wonderful Monday and Lord willing, if I can keep this jalopy running, I'll see you next time. May God bless. Amen.     .....More later.

No comments: