Friday, June 22, 2012

May I brighten your day a little?

Happy Friday everyone. It is June 22, 2012 and I bid you a good day. That word happy is one you hear much about today. Everyone wants to be happy. In fact, I believe the world votes being happy as the number one goal in life.. I talk to people and they put it this way: "I just want to be happy, that's all." They may even add, "Is that asking too much?" What is really meant when folks say this? Typically it has to do with things going well, an absence of trouble, and good fortune each day. I have some news for you. There was an event that happened just after the creation of our human family. That event is called The Fall. Because of the sin of Adam and Eve we will not experience a trouble free existence in this old world. That's just the way it is, according to God, period, end of story. But, that doesn't mean we have to live a life filled with hopelessness and frustration. God knows our need. It is not to have a life with the absence of trouble but it is to have a life with the presence of Himself living in us to help us to live in joy, not in the 'how it feels' each moment of the day. This also doesn't mean that our life is without pleasurable moments. I can prove it. I can share it with you. The photo is of our great granddaughter Madi. When I saw it, it literally made my day. A blessing folks and one I can be thankful for. No. It did not make all my troubles go away but it made me aware of God's grace and provision. Amen.

We also find fulfillment in the heritage that God has allowed us to share. My background is one where I was exposed to family who were distinguished by their faithfulness. They didn't just talk their belief in God, they walked it. Speaking of that, the photo is of my mom and dad walking. It is the Walk of Prayer in the little town where I grew up. Mom certainly was worn out after that long walk but many have told them how their example encouraged them. See what I mean? We can make a difference by being different. I know what you are thinking. They don't get much more different than me. I prove that everyday here at the old blogger ranch. But, thinking about the things we can be thankful for will go a long way in making each day a better day. Someone might say that's real easy for folks who seem to have it made. 'Seem to' is the right thought here. None of us are immune from the storms that come into a life. Those folks in my background that are such a source of inspiration to me, well, they had their share of troubles. They didn't always get everything right as they tried to make it each day. But, on balance, they lived out their time with a sense of confidence, not in this world in all of its trappings, but in the assurance that they would live forever in the presence of the God who sent His Son to save them. Now that is a good act to follow and a challenge. I'm not always up to it but I am thankful the pattern is there for me to see. Amen.

When I saw that photo on Facebook of our little great grand bundle of Madelyn Joy it made me immediately lonesome to see her and her parents. I sent them a note and said just that. They said they needed to fix that situation. When I saw that photo of mom and dad openly demonstrating their desire to see God's blessings on their community, it caused my heart to swell up with a sense of admiration and thankfulness. I have always said that it really doesn't take much to kindle a feeling of thankfulness and joy. Believe me. I have my days too. That's right. I do still get up on the wrong side of the bed from time to time. Thankfully, God usually has a way of letting me know that I can do better than that. It might be from a Bible verse, a song, or a photo shared with family and friends. All of us wear lenses through which we view our world. We all would do well to use the lens of faith as it will help us to clearly see God and His provision for us. Thinking about that reminds me. I need to find those glasses because they are easy to misplace. Now, having said all of that, I want to commend you to finding a place where God's people gather on Lord's Day Sunday, and that you would join them, and join in with them in worshipping and seeking to hear from Him. That's always a good way to start a brand new week. Until next time when you crank up your computing appliance and see a new message from me in your inbox, I'll be working on something to share. May God bless one and all is my prayer. Amen.         .....More later.

No comments: