Thursday, April 19, 2012

You know that progress may be questionable when you step up on the scale and it reads: To be continued.

Made it to Thursday, April 19, 2012. I should start practicing my 'happy feet' dance soon. My family would say that if I do any practicing, make absolutely certain it is in a pitch dark room with no way possible for anyone to see it, or, may the good Lord help us if it were ever to be filmed. They know my abilities so well! I would be doing the happy feet dance because I will be on vacation next week. I'm still trying to decide whether to do my daily blog but I will let you know. I don't feel a need for a break but I'm also taking into consideration my readers. We will see. Living in an area adjacent to the huge Houston metro expanse does have interesting side effects. We are on the north side off of the so designated Dallas highway, I-45. Weather can be stormy anywhere in the Houston area and we might or might not even be impacted. Like the other day I saw a flash alert come up on my computer about how the rain was pouring in Houston. Turns out it was on the other side of the downtown area and we were not getting even one drop. Next time I talk to the folks back home they will tell me about how they saw folks on the news wading across flooded areas. But not in our area. Coming out of last year's drought and still being at least in the running for Round 2, well, I just happen to be a little more sensitive about things like rainfall totals and other vital statistics. I'm very used to folks back home not being able to picture an area that might cover nearly 1,000 square miles. When I attend Church with mom and dad, typically someone will inquire if I have bumped into their relative lately. They do live in the Houston area. But that could be 50 to 75 miles from where I live. Their perspective is different. I understand that. It doesn't bother me one bit. I usually just tell them that I haven't because I haven't been over in that particular area lately. It really does little good to let them know their kinfolks are a day trip away from my territory. And, I am not saying I was hoping to be waist deep during this last rain event. But, I would have appreciated if maybe 2 or 3 inches had sloshed our way. You know. Anything to help avoid what we went through last summer. But the good Lord knows all about it and we trust Him to provide with or without a downpour on our schedule. Amen.

I don't know exactly every detail about how messed up the medical system is in our country but the other day I had a pretty good taste of some of the problem. We just received the bill from my wife's ER and overnight stay in the hospital this past February. We spent a little over 24 hours there. The bill was nearly $22,000. The discount was listed as nearly $20,000. The insurance paid all but $100 and that is what we owe. I know there is something going on about accounting, write-offs, reasonable and customary, and all of that, but, on the surface that billing statement makes about as much sense as trying to get your vitamins at a crack house. I know. Most people say we should be glad that we only owe the $100 and that we should just forget about the rest. And, I am thankful that we had coverage that took care of most of these expenses, however, when something is glaringly absurd, shouldn't we at least consider the implications? I did a little research and yes, sadly, the uninsured would get the full bill, but, even that full bill would likely be different than the one they sent to us. It would be huge and higher than most folks without insurance could pay, but it likely would not be as high as the full amount shown on our bill. They do this as part of a game to get as much as they can out of the insurance company. I mention this because some think that those of us who are opposed to a government takeover of the health care system believe everything is hunky dory in the current way medical services are delivered. That would be ABSOLUTELY WRONG! We do need reform and this little episode is just one small proof. Along with this mess, we have gotten bills from a myriad of auxiliary medical services, one or two per week. I think we even got one where we owed for a clean up on aisle 7. Maybe I should check that one again. Go ahead and smile. Might as well.

I am aware that this is not something that is new and most of you have had to deal with this same situation. If you haven't, you will. Meanwhile, the highest priority for our President is trying to get something called the Buffet Rule put into law. The Buffet Rule named after the billionaire Warren Buffet is a minimum tax for all those who make 1 million or more dollars. If approved, the amount raised would operate the government for around 10 days. But it gives President Obama a wonderful opportunity to champion one of his great campaign themes, divide, divide, divide. Divide people based on their color, their education, their income, and any other reason that can be found. For his administration it does appear that he is the proverbial captain of the Titanic and upon hearing about the calamity in progress after hitting the iceberg, he decides the best plan of action is to rearrange the deck chairs. Ten days. I'm not saying there shouldn't be fairness in the tax code and I'm not saying the tax code doesn't need to be fixed, because it is not only out of control but it has been out of control for at least the past forty years. But using gimmicks to try and gain political advantage at a time when our nation is on the brink, well, that's not statesmanship folks, that's a pandering pilfering of trust pursued only for personal gain. Just so you know, the pandering buck doesn't stop at the President's desk either. Presumed nominee Mitt Romney is on record for saying that he would move immediately to totally overhaul the tax code when he is elected. I think that has been promised by every head of our nation all the way back to King George. I just wanted you to know that I am reading more than just medical bills. In the final analysis, we need to deal with all these matters from a position that gets us as close to God as is possible: That would be on our knees and faces, humbly seeking His intervention. Amen.             .....More later.

No comments: