Friday, April 13, 2012

Only 255 days, 19 hours, 9 minutes, and 53 seconds until Christmas 2012!

Okay, I suppose we all need to be extra careful today since it is Friday, the 13th, here in April of 2012. You do know that I am kidding because it's Friday, just like any other Friday. I've never been one to pay any attention to the melodrama surrounding this supposed bad luck day. I've also never seen any of the movies that carry that name. Sure, I've seen clips of Jason and I know the movies are scary and gory but that kind of nonsense is just not my cup of tea. Speaking of nonsense, but in a serious way, of course, I do get a constant flow of comments and questions about my Santa plans. The most common tend to revolve around my beard and when I will be letting it grow out completely. I don't have a specific date in mind but I typically tell those who ask that it will likely be sometime in the early summer. I do get the occasional question about reindeer and sleigh technology along with some feigned displeasure with the gift someone wanted but did not receive. It"s all in good fun and when I can I hand out a card that has my Santa photo alongside an image of Santa kneeling at the Manger. I know that didn't happen, but it does give someone an opportunity to consider the verse on the card, John 3:16. It's my way of sharing a souvenir along with a testimony regarding the Real Reason for the Season. Never think that sharing any amount of truth is a wasted effort. I've told you before about the testimony of a Russian engineer working in Iraq on a tunnel system where he saw just John 3:16 scrawled on one of the culverts at the construction site. He didn't have a clue what it meant. But he couldn't get it off his mind. He returned to Russia and once he had a chance to research it, he read it and in so doing he heard the call of the Gospel, and gave his heart and his life to Jesus, the Christ. We share little or much, but it is God who takes truth and uses it to speak to a person's heart. And, I say, Amen for that!

I know many of you have been nail biting while you await the results of our termite inspection. Maybe a drum  roll would be appropriate. Or even a song, "Do you know the termite man, the termite man, the termite man, do you know the termite man who lives on dreary lane?"  My apologies to any and all who might have cherished the original children's Muffin Man song but as they used to say back home, you might as well laugh as to cry and I thought that little song might just do it. Let me just say this about the great 2012 termite caper: It could have been much worse. Essentially, here's what we found out. Most of the damage appears to be very dated, perhaps all the way back to when we bought the house. We did have what they call a swarm but no indication of a recent infestation. We will be having a second opinion on Saturday. At this time I can say: The house is still standing, praise the Lord. The structure is still basically sound, praise the Lord. And, what has to be done can be done at a relatively reasonable cost, praise the Lord. A chemical that has been banned was the one used back when we first had the treatment done over twenty years ago. According to the paperwork, it was supposed to be effective for a good long run. That banned substance may be the reason we all glow at night which negates the need for nightlights. See. You can always find something positive if you are on the look out which leads me to another little song. "Glow little nightlight person, glimmer, glimmer, Hey there, little nightlight person, don't get dimmer, dimmer." Apologies to the Mills Brothers who I dearly loved to hear sing. I know. I know. That should just about be a wrap, but, I will keep you posted.

My wife is leaving me again. She is off to Louisiana for a mini reunion with her two brothers and her sister. I asked her if she thought she should leave, you know, with the termite crisis and all. Her response: "Are you kidding? These are my siblings and we have not been together in a long time." I was just asking. You know. Making conversation. I will tell you that I was impressed with the speed of her response. Those little gray cells can get up and go when they have the right motivation. I do pray they will have a most wonderful visit together. My wife's family group have always been close, but as the years click off, they realize the priority of being together when they can. And, I've also been hanging out with these very same folks for nearly fifty years and they all have been a blessing to me, along with their spouses, and their extended families. Memories. Good ones. But, that doesn't fix the problem of her not being around to help keep me pointed in the right direction. I'm surprised she didn't start some kind of prayer chain or something before she left. Only joking. But that might not be a bad idea and I will be the first to agree that any prayers offered up on my behalf at anytime are greatly appreciated. So, we find ourselves on our way to completing another work week and it's time to say farewell until we meet again. I do hope and pray that you will enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and Lord willing, and if the glowing doesn't keep me awake at night, I'll try to be back in my usual place, come next Monday. May God bless one and all. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: