Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A woman walked up to a little old man rocking in a chair on his porch. "I couldn't help noticing how happy you look," she said. "What's your secret for a long happy life?" "I smoke three packs of cigarettes a day," he said. "I also drink a case of whiskey a week, eat fatty foods, and never exercise." "That's amazing," the woman said. "How old are you?' "Twenty-six," he said.

Hello out there in bloggerland. It's good that we have this time to share together. Here we are on Tuesday, and we find ourselves off and running on this April 3, 2012. I read recently another article about how that some folks are beginning to very much think about their working life in terms of forever. This means they are phasing out, at least for them, the idea of retirement. Retirement will always be an option for those who are financially able to handle it. Essentially, this article pointed out, that going forward, this will become fewer and fewer of our fellow citizens. His take, however, was not negative. His great grandparents never even gave a thought about retiring. They worked until they couldn't and then they went on to their reward. One reason I wanted my wife to leave the daily grind was for her health's sake, especially in the stress department. She remains a very capable hard worker as she is now tackling projects at home that she has long wanted to work on. In her case, she can now be called a stay at home wife, not a retiree in terms of hugging a rocking chair. One of the things the writer pointed out was how that the stigma of being an older worker has begun to change. I see my fellow white hairs hard at work nearly everywhere I go. Yet to be fully realized is how this development will impact the overall job market as young folks seek employment in a very overcrowded and long line. One thing we can be sure of. God never expects any of His own to retire from being faithful to Him. That's a lifelong pursuit whether we are still doing 8 to 5, or sipping on our Community in our retirement bungalow. Amen.

Thanks to so many of you who responded to my prayer request on behalf of my mom. She will be busy this week dealing with her medical needs. On Wednesday she has a Colonoscopy, and on Thursday she is scheduled for the reschedule of her heart stress test. Our youngest called and asked if all these tests are a good idea for someone nearly 88 years young. I told him they obviously think so, and that she is not just any nearly 88 year old person. She is cut out of a bolt of cloth that is about as rugged as they come. But, she is my mom, and I thank God for her, and I appreciate your prayers. I had some neat comments about her partaking of the Community, including one that guessed maybe that was part of her secret to her longevity. That would mean I am going to be hanging around for a good long while! Just joking. She only had half a cup. I told you that Community was special. She shut down the entire testing process for just one half of a cup! That should pretty well put to rest any questions you might have had about its viability. Therefore, look for one of these bumper stickers coming to a vehicle just up ahead: "No coffee, No workee!" ~ "MAKE COFFEE, NOT WAR"  ~ "WWJB - What would Jesus brew?" ~ "Give me coffee and no one gets hurt!" ~ "Death Before Dishonor but Nothing Before Coffee!" ~

In fact, I saw a lady the other day with a tall cup marked Community. She asked me if I thought the coffee inside of it was actually the real stuff. I told her there were crimes and then there were high crimes and if anyone put any other coffee product in a Community cup, they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Now you do know that I am joking about all of this. Right? I will admit that I have advised folks to pour their inferior brew into a properly designated Community cup, hoping the rub off will do it some good. However, my guess is that most of the other stuff would be way too embarrassed to live in such a false representation of what they really are. Again, just kidding in a kind of very heart attack serious way. I do have nightmares about waking up one day and finding out Community has been bought out by people who have decided to blend it with green tea or something. You've never even worried about that for one second in your life? No wonder. You've probably never missed a stress test either because of the lure of that Louisiana home brewed nectar. If my wife was sitting beside me at this very moment she would tell it was time for me to say good night Gracie. You know. From the old Burns and Allen show. She's not much on pantomime but I can tell you from long years of teaching she does have that cut-it-off-now symbol down pat. She's never really learned to appreciate the talent I have for continuing to go on and on, even after I have finished. Have a great Tuesday and may God bless each one. Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: