Monday, April 16, 2012

Hello Monday morning and Shalom Y'all!

When Mark Lowry, the Christian singer and comedian was in Israel for a musical presentation, he greeted the crowd with, "Shalom Y'all" to help connect Southern Gospel to its Jewish roots. Not a bad greeting if you ask me. So, Shalom Y'all, good to see you and howdy, on this Monday, April 16, 2012. I saw a list of news headlines on the ABC website the other day that kind of tells a story. The top one had to do with the reaction to a song that was played at Whitney Houston's funeral service, then there was one about another high school teacher who is accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a student, followed by a story about a cast member leaving the Saturday Night Live program. Number four on the list was the headline about North Korea's planned launch of a rocket that could very well be a test for landing a nuclear bomb on our doorstep. Does that not depict where we are as a culture or what? Nothing like making sure we have our priorities in order. Right? Right. I know there's much that has been said about us being a celebrity obsessed culture but when you see it played out in terms of what attracts people's attention, well, it does bring it home, so to speak. Why should we be concerned about this? One word: Children. Our children. They are being bombarded with images and pressures that reflect this orientation. I read the other day where a ten year old girl gave birth in Columbia, South America. These pressures to be something other than a child are real and while the media has a vested interest in downplaying the impact, we should not look the other way while our heritage is being harmed. And, I give myself an Amen on that one!

I know most of you are not likely daily readers of obituaries, far and wide. I take in quite a few. It has become a habit of sorts but it does keep me acutely aware of the brevity of this life and how that we never know what might happen as we get up and face each day. I read one the other day from a funeral home in Many, Louisiana. That little town is only a few miles from where I grew up. A gentleman had passed away and one of the things said was that he had been a friend to many folks in his 72 year sojourn. At the end of the write up, this quotation was said to be written on a piece of paper and carried in his billfold: “I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, Let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” I read that early one morning. It was like a jolt of inspiration wrapped up in some good old fashioned conviction. Not a bad way to go about your life and his approach was very much sanctioned by our Lord and Savior. Jesus summed up the meaning behind the law in terms of priority: Love God with every fiber of your being, and love others as you already love yourself. See there. Even at a time when tears flow as some are saying goodbye, others can be encouraged by a life lived for Christ. Amen.

I scan a number of these notices every day. And, typically they do not jump out at me, other than to let us all know that one day our name will occupy that same space. On the day I found the one with that note, there was another one in the same list of a man who lived for 85 years and had overcome what was seemingly insurmountable odds in his life. He had polio as a child. He had difficulty finding a job that he could do well in. Finally, he started his own business and for over fifty years it provided for him and his family. I don't know about you but accounts like this are inspirational. It helps us to know that we are not alone in our struggles but it also shows how that grit and determination can make a difference in life. Overcoming odds. No doubt many folks would have written his crippled body off as a youngster but God had a different plan. This man's life reminds me of the man born blind that was given his sight by Jesus as recorded in the Gospel of John, Chapter 9. That man had laid by the roadside for years begging. Many believed that his blindness was due to some great sin in the life of his family. But Jesus informed them that this man's healing would be used to bring great honor and glory to God. And, that it did! The blind man was healed. His healing was rejected by the religious leaders. Even the man's parents were frightened by this great event. He gained physical sight that day but not long after Jesus met him one on one, and he then gained spiritual sight which was of unsurpassed magnitudes of greatness more than just being able to see with his eyes. I doubt that anyone that knew that man had any hope for him to ever be anything other than a blind beggar. God had a different plan. And, He has a different plan for you and for I. Responding to Him is where we become aware of His plan for our life. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: