Thursday, August 4, 2011

We all are flawed and we all stand in need of the grace of God.

This must be the place and here we are again where I am going to do my best to help get our day started on this Thursday, August 4, 2011. I know the times we are living in are not that funny. My wife says she will be glad when all this political craziness ends. That's not likely to be anytime soon because as long as there have been folks, there's been some type of politics going on. I have some sympathy for President Obama. While I totally disagree with his governmental philosophy, I do realize he inherited a huge mess. That being said, he, being crowned as the smartest man ever to lead our nation, surrounded by supposedly, the smartest people ever to surround the smartest president, he and them have not been able to do anything except take that mess and make it a gigantic mess, a monster mess, if you will. It reminds me of that movie from many years ago, The Blob. The further it went the larger it grew. Some conservatives are happy that we are doing so badly because they see it as an advantage. I couldn't disagree with them more. I want my country to succeed. I want folks who are willing to be able to find jobs so they can support their families. I want to see America once again be that city on the hill. I want all these things for our nation, regardless of who occupies the oval office. This is why I pray often for our president and other government leaders. The Apostle Paul made it clear that praying for those in authority is our duty and I remind us once again that he was inspired to write those words as recorded in Romans 13 when Rome was ruling. Rome was not kind to Christians. Rome was not led by Godly people, yet, Paul instructed those early believers to pray for their government leaders. If all of us who call ourselves children of the living God would begin to pray in a positive manner instead of from our hard hearts that tend to hate more than love, perhaps God would bless our nation once again. That goes for us all, me included. Not a bad thought for a Thursday or even for a Wednesday. That was yesterday.You know Wednesday? Prayer and Bible study Wednesday? That's what it used to be and the fact that it is no longer that in a majority of places might just tell us some of how we got to where we are today. Something to think about! Amen.

Yes. We all are messed up and often we end up seeing things only from our messed up point of view. We all at times need to stop and smell the coffee, and drink some of it, that is, if it is Community. You do know what I mean. Right Vern? But I can't help but chuckle when I see some who have fiercely stood up for cutting spending in the Federal budget, yet, they have just as fiercely lobbied to keep contracts and Army bases in their own states or districts. When the Pentagon tries to cancel a weapons project costing billions but it is continued due to political considerations, folks, that's the stench of hypocrisy that makes me want to throw up. Some of those folks fighting for these funds are the very same ones who have screamed the loudest about getting spending under control. We've all likely been there at some time in our lives. I have observed this up close and personal. I've seen folks who have loudly protested any and all financial aid to anyone for any reason and they were clear and consistent about it, that is, until some in their family suffered loss, and suddenly, it was deserved, it was only right, it was due them. Oh be careful little mouths what you say. That doesn't mean that we do nothing and that we refuse to stand up for sound and Godly principles. But what it does mean is that we do so in a way that recognizes that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, all, and that includes all in the current administration, past administrations, and for all of us that live and breathe air on the planet today. Think about it. Jesus reserved His harshest criticisms for those who talked out of both sides of their mouths, those with a hypocritical spirit. I am really on a roll today. I'm even beating up on me and it's my blog. What's up with that?

I've heard the excuse all my life about how that Churches are full of hypocrites. While that is a true statement, it reflects the condition easily manifested in us all, and one that we all must do battle with every single day. I always tell folks that Church is the best place in the world for a hypocrite because at least they just might hear the truth and be changed by the power of God. I'm not afraid to openly discuss the facts about the failings that we've had throughout our history as a nation, and as a people, and as individuals. Knowing the facts will give us a sense of humility even as we seek God's help in standing for His truth and His ways. I am always saddened when I see placards and signs at political rallies that invoke racial hatred and other forms of ungodly speech. I often receive emails with hateful depictions and even worse inscriptions. Some of these originate with folks who thought wearing a WWJD (What would Jesus do?) bracelet was a great way to let the world know where you stand. I would guess they might think twice before forwarding one of those emails to Him. I'm not picking on anyone, I am confessing my own sinful tendencies and trying to show us all how easy it is to cross the line. One of the reasons the liberals say it's okay to triumph when a conservative has a moral failure is because of the arrogance of those who claim the spiritual high ground. You don't think they know of some of the skeletons, and have observed many of the 'do as I say not as I do' types of behavior? Of course they know. Again, it used to be called prayer and Bible Study Wednesday and that might be a good place to start from once again, for each of us, you, me, and everybody else. Wasn't trying to be preachy, just sharing The View From Here. May God bless us all and may God bless America. Amen.              .....More later.

No comments: