Wednesday, August 3, 2011

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Hello and welcome to Wednesday, August 3, 2011. On Monday of this week I passed a major milestone of sorts. I am now official. It took me a long time to get here. It was a hot day here in our area, there was little air to breathe, but somewhere out there in the computer controlled galaxy my name became enshrined on the roll of a Medicare plan managed through a private carrier. I had to relocate my prescriptions to a new pharmacy, or better put, my partner for these nearly 47 years did it on my behalf. I don't mind arriving at this destination. What I do mind is the baggage that comes with it. The other day when I was over in Louisiana and I attended that memorial service I saw a number of people I recognized. My hometown, you would have expected that. Right? In addition, I saw several I recognized but not because I knew them. I looked across the room and saw the profile of an individual, some smattering of wrinkles, and some gray. I immediately thought, I remember you. When I was a kid you were one of those guys that used to stand outside our Church on Sunday mornings and suck down that last cigarette before services started. Then I did the math. That couldn't be them. They would be well over 100 years old. No. It was a son or a grandson who carried that profile on behalf of their family heritage. See what I mean? About the time I convince myself I'm not really as old as my age would indicate I have one of those sudden attacks of a highjacked memory association. I suppose I don't need a letter confirming my eligibility. Just a mirror will do, thank you very much.

Some might think it good that I have finally reached a point in my life where I realize I need to start acting my age. Sadly, that part of the program seems to be on auto pilot. I have many little stories on myself that illustrates where I have arrived. I keep most of them to myself. Occasionally, I will tell the better half one of them and she nearly falls out in the floor laughing. A good reminder of why I had not told it to her before. Maybe it's because I've never been one to allow things to happen to me, control freak that I am, but now it seems to happen before I even get the chance to screen them out. (Note to self: Google broken mental screening function.) Of late I have even been known to talk to myself about some of the really dumb stuff that happens. It's basically one of those: "How in the world did you allow that to happen?" I suppose I am entitled to use the old age provision of the human contract, that one that has a clause that says there comes a time when we are no longer fully responsible for some of the things we get ourselves into. Never heard about that one? You will eventually become more interested in it, maybe not today, but it is coming to a screen near where you live. There are plenty of slogans out there to help keep us focused. You are only as old as you feel. That's a non starter for me. All I have to do is look at that shoe box full of medicine bottles and that one more or less fizzles out. I've fallen and I can't get up. I know that's not very motivational but I've always loved that one but never figured I could use it. The other evening I almost put that one to the test when I was determined to adjust the A/C vents while standing on a small round stool. I've always been able to jump up on that stool but now I look like old rubber legs. What's up with that? The good news is that at times I forget what I shouldn't try doing and when I actually go for it, sometimes I get it done. Maybe I was only dreaming that I was getting older and now I am waking up. Yeah. That's the ticket. Go get em tiger!

Most of that second paragraph was intended to be funny. Most of it. A good portion of it. Well, okay... some of it. But I will tell you that I've been blessed with the years that God has given to me, and while I have not always taken good care of myself, or followed Him like I should have, He has always been faithful to me. That reminds me of a song we heard Bobby Michaels, the South African Christian performer sing. He told the story about visiting a hospital and talking with a very elderly lady. She couldn't hear well and he leaned down close to her and she asked if he would sing her favorite song, "My Redeemer Is Faithful and True". Her weathered face became vibrant and her eyes sparkled and tears began to flow as he quietly sang these words into her ear: Verse 1: "As I look back on the road I've traveled, I see so many times He carried me through; And if there's one thing that I've learned in my life, My Redeemer is faithful and true. My Redeemer if faithful and true[Chorus:] My Redeemer is faithful and true. Everything He has said He will do, And every morning His mercies are new. My Redeemer is faithful and true. Verse 2: My heart rejoices when I read the promise 'There is a place I am preparing for you.' I know someday I'll see my Lord face to face, 'Cause my Redeemer is faithful and true. My Redeemer is faithful and true. [Chorus:] My Redeemer is faithful and true. Everything He has said He will do, And every morning His mercies are new. My Redeemer is faithful and true. My Redeemer if faithful and true." (Based on Psalm 103:17) That song was written by Stephen Curtis Chapman and it has been a source of inspiration and encouragement to folks all over the world. Don't wait too long to learn the truth from this song because it will speak to you regardless of the season of your life. Amen.        ....More later.

No comments: