Monday, August 22, 2011

Birthday lap completed, and my oh my, what a blessing!

Welcome to Monday, a brand new week, and a brand new opportunity to get things in better shape on this August 22, 2011. What a great Sunday we had. It was our own version of “All My Children” and it was a wonderful time of feasting, fellowship, and family. Thanks to my dear and lovely wife for the amount of time she put into preparing our forever favorite meal. Her own special brand of fried chicken, a huge pile of mashed potatoes, gravy, hot rolls, and all the side dishes. Our eldest, Mr. Chris, used to call them smashed potatoes when he was little, and that still comes up every once in a while. But, this one thing is true: As of yesterday afternoon, you can call most of it pretty much gone, and that's what my wife loves and lives to see. She is a legendary cook and when she puts it on, it hearkens back to Granny Mac, my mom, her mom, and others we've known who, more than anything else, found joy in seeing their families enjoy the fruit, or in this case, the fried chicken, of their labors. I most likely will not take a birthday lap that will last an entire week like I did this time, but, then again, you only hit the big 65 once. Yesterday the chatter was loud, the laughter was sweet, and looking at each individual, it made me aware how blessed I am, and how blessed I have been. In the end, it is reason to pause and give God the glory for we read in His Word that every good gift comes from Him. Amen. (James Chapter 1)

Now that you, me, and everyone in the world has had about all we can take concerning my birthday, it is time to move on. My dad told me the other day that waking up the day after 65 is just like waking up the day before, or even on the day itself. That's pretty good insight if you ask me. In other words, we get up and go each day, take it, thank God for it, and do the best we can with it. I am often reminded of Paw Paw Mac and how tough he was and how resilient he was and how much like a rock he was. None of those things seemed to change over the years. Even as he approached 70, he was still going strong. But one day, just three months after turning 71, he developed an issue that required some surgery, then he had a blood clot, and then he was gone. Just like that! Gone! We kids all thought he was invincible but he wasn't, and I am not, and you are not either. That's why it is so important to live in the here and now with an expectation of going 'there' at any time. Yikes! Wouldn't that make one morbid? I don't think so because if we are like my grandfather, then we are on our way there, and some get a better idea 'when' than others, but ultimately that's our destination, and, based on God's plan, He would have us to be not only prepared but also to be looking forward to, yearning for, and anticipating that great homecoming day. See, when you pass that 65 number you begin to think more about going home and without any contradiction, I am certainly closer today than I was yesterday. Amen, Hallelujah, praise the Lord!


Monday. Monday. This is a barely make it, drag in day for a lot of our guys here. They are not alone. It has been that way everywhere I have worked. I try to understand but it still is somewhat baffling to me. I know some of it is real. Folks stay out too late over their weekend, or maybe they party too much. But I also think there has to be a psychological component in the back to work day. Like the old Ernie Ford song, "Another day older and deeper in debt." mentality. Okay, without being a smart aleck, and doing my best not to be condescending, I just don't get it, I really don't. Blame it on Paw Paw Mac or my DNA or something, but I've always seen Monday as the day after Lord Day's Sunday and as the first day of the work week, therefore, it is about as regular as it can be, and I get up and go just like it was any other day. Again, I am not patting myself on the back, I'm just amazed how it works with some people. The other Monday morning a young Hispanic fellow who is a great worker had that 'I don't know if I can make it' look on his face. I hardly know this kid but I walked up to him, grabbed his face with my hands, and said, "What in heaven's name is wrong with you?" He laughed and said he was just so tired and so sleepy. It's 7 a.m., on a Monday morning, time to get going, and this is how you face the new day? Like I say, he is not alone, and yes, most folks think me to be a little on the weird side, but I'll do my best to be more understanding, and pray every day that I do not fall into that same rut. I will admit there are some days when maybe one more hour of sleepy time would be good, but I typically do not succumb to the temptation. One thing is clear. We are all put together differently and we do things differently but we are all loved by God the same and that is something we should rejoice about, regardless of what time we get up to face the day that He has given to us! Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: