Thursday, August 18, 2011

Come on in, I have an all day buffet for you to pick and choose from!

Okay. I'm now on that next chapter pursuit, and I bid you welcome to Thursday, August 18, 2011. They tell us that the first bourbon whiskey in the US was distilled by a Baptist preacher in 1789. Based on what I heard growing up, our Baptist preachers were not kin to that one. Or maybe it was like what our wonderful neighbor, Ellis, said, so many years ago. He went to his reward a number of years ago. He and his wife were practicing Methodists and he knew we were Baptists. He said up in East Texas where he grew up the Methodists would do their drinking on the front porch, while the Baptists hid and did theirs on the back porch. The first coast to coast flight in the US was accomplished in 1911. It took 49 days. I don't have a plane delay story to match that one but I do remember once taking a one hour flight for a meeting that ended up requiring about eight to complete. Weather forced us to be rerouted into a completely different part of the country. Had to wait some time just to get a flight headed in the direction I needed to go. That flight was somewhat memorable. I was put next to a lady who was so large she back flowed into my seat. Her huge arm took up half my chest cavity and I ended up having to synchronize my breathing just to survive. I finally arrived at my meeting, 8 hours late, and in need of CPR. Maybe not quite that bad but that was some day. Believe me. That was some day!

Turning 65 this year puts me, not only on the leading edge of the so called Boomer generation, but I'm also a part of a number of notables who are doing the same. Former Presidents, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton turn 65 this year. Also Cher and Dolly Parton. How about this one? Johnny Crawford who starred as the kid in 'The Rifleman'. Wow! The 'Donald' as in Trump also hits the big 65 this year. Pat Sajak, Sylvester Stallone, and Haley Mills. Haley Mills? She's the little girl that played in the original 'Parent Trap'. Right? Are you feeling a little older yet? Steven Spielberg of Star Wars fame, Larry Csonka, the football legend, and Bob Villa, the original home improvement dude, are all a part of this huge audience being bombarded by that endless printing press owned by AARP. I've tried to let AARP know that I am boycotting their services due to their hook, line, and sinker approach to supporting the health care fiasco pushed through by President Obama. That has not kept them from filling up my mailbox, at least once or twice per week. You don't think my little protest is that big of a deal? It probably isn't but there does come a time when you have to stand up for what you believe in. Right? I read the other day about some of these Tea Party freshman in Congress who went there to change Washington but fought hard to keep money rolling into their states, even though the purpose for it has long passed. See what I mean? If you are going to talk the talk, you need to walk the walk! But, then again, what do you expect from a place that eventually seems to get to everyone? Here's something to ponder: The historian and moralist, who was otherwise known simply as Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

I didn't mean to turn this into an opinion piece but then again, it is The View From Here. I don't even mind folks disagreeing with me because one of the things we all are entitled to, at least at this time, is our own thoughts and opinions. We are free to express them. However, none of us, not you, not me, no one, is entitled to their own set of facts. The problem as we see each and every day is found in trying to get the facts. This becomes next to impossible because while we like that blindfold worn by Lady Justice, there's no way to get a 100% unbiased report of the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, on just about anything, period, end of story. Therefore, in dealing with the issues of the day, we just have to connect the dots the best we can, realizing that we might not always be right, but using our principles as a foundation, we seek to influence our world. Now, having given all of this somewhat negative view on the search for truth, I can happily point any and all folks to the Source of Truth. God and His Word. Now we are talking about something we can believe, embrace, live by, and use as a guide for our day by day living. Sure. The world is filled with people distorting the truths found in God's Word. But His Word is stronger than the errors they are attempting to promulgate. It will remain standing when all else has fallen. Can't seem to find any source for truth today? Trust me. Check out a copy of God's preserved Word. The answer, my friend, is there, for you, for me, and for a lost and dying world. Amen. Have a good one and may God bless.             .....More later.

No comments: