Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I find myself having to jog just to keep up with all my role models!

Joke: For every mile you jog they say it adds one
day to your life which means at age 85 you can
spend 5 more months in the nursing home
at a cost of $5,000 per month.
Yes it is. It's Tuesday and June is fading even as I type this little ditty on this, the 28th day of the month, year 2011. Some people are amazing. You know what I mean? I was reading the obituary of a lady out in our area that passed on at age 87 but had continued to be a practicing private nurse through March of this year. Wow! Talk about a productive life! The write up made a special mention that her license was still up to date. I think of my mom and dad and how active they are and it is impressive. It is amazing to me just how much they are on the go, seems like nearly every day. My Paw Paw Mac was born in 1900. The statistics indicated a life expectency on average for males to be 46.3 years. He was blessed to live to be 71. When we see that 46.3 we think most of the people were dying young. That's not really true. There were folks all over the age range but on average that is how many years people could expect to live. I was born in 1946 and those born that year had a really great expectation on average to make it to 64.4 years. I have already exceeded that one, therefore, I am going to do my best, with God's cooperation, of course, to be one of those on the other end of the average that tends to mess with the statisticians. I do believe that one of the amazing features of the modern age is how that folks up in years are able to continue to be very productive in their lives. That no doubt reflects improved nutrition, food safety, and a whole lot of enhanced medical technology, but, since God is the Author of life, therefore, He truly has a purpose in us being able to benefit from these older folks. Or, we older folks as the case might be. I know how thankful I am for my parents and because of their active lives we sometimes forget the number that goes with their years here on the planet. That's a blessing that we should never take for granted. Amen.

I know there are many folks who believe they are fine having a relationship with God but without a connection to a local community of faith. It reminds me of a song from a number of years ago, "Me and Jesus, we've got our own thing going." I don't see it that way at all. These past many months of doing my best to support my brother during his life ending illness, including the prayers and encouragement I was provided after his passing, gives testimony to the encouragement and support I have received from my brothers and sisters in Christ in the community where I fellowship, worship, meet, and serve. The local assembly, (Ecclesia in the Greek), called Chruch today, is a God ordained institution founded by our Savior Himself. It's made up of sinners saved by grace. Yes, there have been many folks hurt in their association with a local body. That happens because while we are saved eternally we are certainly not sinless nor perfect. therefore, sometimes we have earned the reputation of shooting our own wounded. That being said, God ordained that we believers should be united with other like minded folks for the purpose of carrying on His Kingdom's business here on earth. Sure, the local assembly will always have stuff going on that is not what it should be. Why? Because we who are members still struggle in seeking to live out a life of faith by the help and power of God and we do not always achieve this in our day by day living. However, I can testify to needed strength and the unmistakable presence of God as those who are my dear brothers and sisters interceded on behalf of me and my family during these difficult days. Yes, folks, while we are all damaged goods, we do best when we connect into God's design and the local fellowship is how He chose to provide for His own. Thanks to those in our local fellowship for being there for us all along. Amen.

The old saying certainly applies to my testimony. Helping folks connect into God's salvation is nothing more than one beggar telling another beggar where they can go to find food. Part of what I try to do in my blog each day is to share with my audience my experiences that may be of help to someone out there. Some believers don't feel qualified to share their testimony. Just tell what has happened to you. What has God done in your life? Most of the people chosen to spread the Good News from the get go were not theologians. Most of them were fishermen. But they were there when it happened, therefore, they had a story to tell. These men were not ignorant, however, since most of them had been raised up in Orthodox Jewish homes. Knowing the Scriptures would have been a big part of their early childhood development. But Jesus of Nazareth, His hometown, just like Hornbeck, La., is mine, chose out specific individuals for the very purpose of being a witness to the fulfillment of the Scriptures regarding the coming into the world of the Messiah and Savior, Christ the Lord. Once the Holy Spirit came to enable and empower the ministry of the Gospel, these men were able to boldly proclaim the truth about our Savior, and many of them were inspired by God to write the Holy Texts that we are able to read and study today. From humble beginnings they were said to have turned the world upside down. This should encourage each of us to see ourselves in light of truth. We are who we are in Christ and because of our identity in Him, we have purpose in our life. Let me assure you that He is still working on yours truly to make and mold me into a vessel that can be of service in His kingdom. Thank God for that and I do pray that you will go right out and have yourself a blessed day. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: