Thursday, May 5, 2011

Will Rogers: "I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons."

I didn't notice any rioters at my doorstep this morning, therefore, I guess I didn't upset too many people in the views I expressed in yesterday's episode. It should always be remembered that the views expressed in this space do not represent anyone other than the writer, and on some days, even that may be questionable. At any rate, thanks for bearing with me as we make our way forward and here we are, it's Thursday, May 5, 2011, and I once again invite you in for today's one way dialogue. One way. That does seem a little stiff but given the format and structure of how I go about all of this, it's not that easy to do forth and back, questions and answers, and that type of thing. I also have a pretty good idea that my explanations would generally not be any better than the stuff that makes it to the page, therefore, it might be best to let sleeping dogs lie. That phrase about dogs is rather ancient but sufficient to say it has something to do with not stirring up trouble because if at the moment things are quiet, let them stay that way. We know that can't always be the case because there are times when we do have to stand up, speak up, and be counted. One of the things you learn in life is how that situations that are bad typically don't get better on their own, even though we all would prefer for it to work that way. Today I pledge to try to steer away from controversial items and just more or less enjoy our visit. I did say try. And while I must admit that sometimes what I write can be a surprise, I cannot deny that I am the first to know exactly what flows from those tormented gray cells as they are directed through my fingers that slap around the keys, and that's more or less how we end up with each day's version of what you see is what you get.

Too wordy. Too repetitive. That's pretty much the story of my life, I'm just too "too". This tends to happen when your editor is also the originator of the text itself. Here's the way I see it. I think about something. I write about it. I read it after it is written. I try to make sure that a regular person reading can get the gist of what is being said. If it meets that test, it will probably be left in unchanged, and I will tell you that I do change quite a bit of what I write because there are times when it doesn't even meet the smell test. The smell test idiom supposedly originated based on the smelling of food to determine if it was spoiled or not. Over time it came to mean testing to determine the authenticity or legitimacy of something. I understand the idiom has now expanded where there is a gasp test to check if something is appropriately shocking or provocative and a giggle/laugh test to see if something is serious or funny. What if I write an entire blog that doesn't pass the smell test? Again. It's the editor deal. Same writer and same editor. Same writer and same smell tester. But we do have one thing going for us and that has to do with the fact that I do care. Caring doesn't always guarantee competency but it sure is better than when it is missing from the equation. Therefore, if it does seem a little ragged some days just mark it off to me not having been that good at dealing with equations. If that makes sense?

You were not aware that someone could put together that many words without having anything of value to say? You must be a new reader because I have honed my craft and I pretty much can do that with one hand tied behind my back. That particular idiom is pretty much self explanatory although I did see one that said with both hands tied behind the back. I will have to think about that one because when it comes to typing, well, I think you can see my point. "Look ma no hands." Well that one has a fairly long history and it generally reflects a child doing something without using their hands, like riding a bicycle. The joke says, "Look ma, no hands. Look ma, no teeth." I told you I was going to try and steer away from anything serious today and thus far I am pretty much guaranteed to end up with a twist on that old famous newspaper slogan, "All the news that's unfit to print." Of course the original said fit to print and it dates back to the late 1890's and was used by the New York Times. But you knew that already and I've now not only bored you with all of this, I've even bored myself. Maybe tomorrow I will have something better. One would hope. Until then, take care and be careful riding that bicycle without hands. May God bless. Amen.         .....More later.

No comments: