Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day - 2011

Good Friday morning and welcome to the 6th day of May, 2011. This coming Sunday we will pause to recognize our mothers and what they have meant to our lives. I've said it before and I will repeat it over and over again, God has surrounded me throughout my life with wonderful God loving moms. How has all their influence shown up in my life? It may be hard to detail but it certainly is a major element of who I am today and how I operate my life. My mother is a legendary woman. I don't say that just to be saying it. Folks over in the area where I grew up know her well in all the hardships and challenges she has faced. But what a mom! And, how blessed I am to be her son. I think of her mom, Granny Mac, and her love for us grandchildren. How was her love proved? She was always in there praying, always in there showing her heart in her actions. Like food. That's right. There was a day and time when I was allowed to like food. Sorry. That was my pre-diabetic days but my grandmother and my mom made the next meal always something to look forward to. I think about my wife and the fact that she can easily be called out in the same breath of these other great women. I think about my wife's mom, and her grandmothers, all of them, simple but strong women. I'm not rubbing it in, I'm just taking the time to express the blessings I've enjoyed because of moms in my life.

Let me also add that these women do and those gone on to glory did their best to model the message of the Biblical pattern for a lady, a wife, and a mother. They were not focused on having the 'I promise to obey' taken out of the wedding ceremony, they were committed to doing life as best they could, with God's help, God's way. I will tell you something the world at large doesn't really understand. God will always bless whenever we seek to do life the way He has directed. Always. It may not be with fame or fortune. It may not be the way in which others count it up. But, it could just end up being some little boy somewhere who grows up and learns the true meaning of having a Godly mom. That someone would be me. Today I rise up to honor my mom and all the moms who have made a difference in my life. God bless them all and may God help us to have more moms who desire to follow God's model for success.

And just one more thought here. My wife. She models those who have preceded her. I am the recipient of her being the type of woman that seeks to please God. On Wednesday I came in from work to find a meal fit for a king. The smells were wafting on the rolling tide and they were singing a song. It was a song that goes all the way back to my earliest memories. I walked into that kitchen as a little boy. Sure. It was time to hide the diabetic testing kit. She had fixed her patented fried chicken. I say that because those who think the colonel was on to something, they really don't have a clue. She had rice and gravy. She had mustard greens that my mom had brought to us. She had fried okra. She had field peas. And, she had some wonderful cornbread. With a glass of iced tea in hand, I sat down to a feast. It was a feast of food and a feast of remembrance as I recalled such sweet times from my past. I know. Some don't make that big of deal out of food. But, forgive us, because we did and I am so thankful that, on occasion, we still do. Thanks to my dear wife for standing over that hot stove. Yep. That's one of the things it is there for. And, I thank her for being such a great wife and mom. I may have to wait a couple of days to check my blood sugar but no doubt even my insulin starved pancreas is applauding my indulgence in such a great meal. May God bless you all and in particular, I wish all the moms a Happy Mother's Day. Amen.         ......More later.

No comments: