Thursday, May 26, 2011

Viva La Difference: Long live the difference!

Good Thursday morning. I bring you greetings on this May 26, 2011. I know that you know that men and women are different. During my nearly 65 years of breathing air on the planet this fact has been confirmed time and time again. I read the other day about the differences in how men access the ATM dispenser versus how that women do the same transaction. The list consisted of 7 steps for the man and 22 for the woman. And, while that little comparison reflects an attempt to be humorous, I can tell you that if you have ever been in line at the supermarket behind a lady with a large amount of groceries and observed how it goes when it comes time to pay, well, enough said. We are different. I really don't know why so many people want to change that. God had a reason for making us the way we are and it might just be a good idea to work within His designed features rather than oppose them. Most of us are aware of much of the scientific studies about the left side versus the right side brain operation, the chromosomes, genes, hormones, and all the other boring stuff that tries to explain why we are so different. In the real world we actually get to experience these differences. A wife will put a stack of clothes at the bottom of the stairs to remember to take them upstairs. The man will see that same stack and consider it an opportunity to exercise his stepping over skills. And, he is so much committed to it, he might work on those exercises for weeks.

I know that God knows all things. Therefore, He knew about how the television remote control would one day become the most obvious symbol of the differences in His divine creation of male and female. My wife is so funny. She actually thinks the remote control is there to be used only when you want to change the channel. Is that hillarious or what? I cannot think of too many things more exasperating than sitting next to my wife when she has the remote control in her hand. It almost makes me nauseous. She actually punches the button between channels. She missed entirely the memo about fast forwarding surfing. Even after the years I have devoted to helping her understand, she still thinks there just might be something worth watching on the Hallmark or Lifetime channels. She also believes that a commercial is there to break up the segments of the show. No. The commericals are there so that you can see what is on the other 200 channels. Everyone knows that! I will admit that as I close in on my golden years I'm still not inclined to give a flip about the Golden Girls. When I have the remote safely secured in my hand, all is right within our domicile. She will at times ask very pecuiliar questions. Like: Why don't you just key in the channel? How funny is that? I like moving through the 52 stations just to get to my final destination. It's not always about getting there. Right guys? The way in which you travel is also pretty important. She might express concern about us getting back late to the program as I take my commercial break flight. Come on now. This is where skill meets the road. I typically tell her not to worry because of my years of training and acquired expertise. After that dizzy flight we land back to our program just as the last note of the tune on the commerical is fading. I lean back in that recliner enjoying the fact that another mission has been successfully accomplished.

That was intended to be funny, so please don't send me an autographed copy of any of those books about men being from Mars and women being from Venus. We actually have more information in the Bible than most of us realize reflecting God's plan for men and women, including how His design for them both is to be worked out in the lives of His own. Men have needs. Women have needs. God designed it so that He will be honored as we meet each other's needs according to His plan and purpose. I get up every day knowing that my single greatest challenge in terms of my wife is found in that one verse where I am told to love her in the same way that Christ loved His bride, the Church, and gave Himself up for her. (Letter to the Ephesians, Chapter 5, Verse 5) That word picture or object lesson cannot be improved upon. I am called to love my wife in a sacrificial manner. That, my friend, is a biggie. She has her own calling in terms of honoring me and helping me to be the man God has called me to be. This means that I will twist, turn, and twitch as she slow walks through the channels and do my best not to say anything while on the inside I am about to explode. However, if, for any reason she leaves her chair, I will, out of love and devotion remove that remote from her area, so that she will not have to handle the huge responsibility of leadership that it implies. See what I mean? I do get it. Now that is love in action. Have a great day and may God bless. Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: