Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Just Drifting Along with the Tumbling Tumbleweeds!

Welcome back. It is that return to work day after the three day weekend. That is, for most of us, and I thank God for the opportunity to be involved in a different type of busy. Busy with Lord's Day Sunday. Busy with remembering those who have given their all for our country. Busy with family and food and fellowship. Those types of busy will make you tired but as they say, it's a good tired. It's the last day of May, the 31st, Tuesday, 2011, and I bid you welcome. It's good to be back into my regular routine. I suppose there's no way to argue it at this late date, I am pretty much a routine sort of person. Seven days a week. That doesn't mean that I have the exact same routine for all seven days but I do have one associated with each day. The big problem with routine is how routine it can become. There are days when I arrive here at my workplace and to tell the truth I most likely couldn't give you any details about the trip. I have my own way of getting here. I turn at certain spots and it is "my" way of doing it. Others think it's best to drive in a different way. That's their routine. It is not mine. I've read those motivational pieces that recommend the obliteration of your routine. You know. Find a new way. Do the opposite. Make it exciting. I routinely trash most of those. Just joking. Maybe that's why we all are different in many of the same ways. Or something like that. It's still early and I'm still trying to remember anything about the 25 miles I drove this morning. Gives me something to think about. Right?

When we switched to satellite recently for our TV service we picked up the RFD channel. That RFD is the abbreviation used from our past to designate postal delivery into rural areas, Rural Free Delivery. Many of you know that this channel is about matters that pertain primarily to farmers, ranchers, and folks who live out in the country. Last night they played an hour long excerpt from the farewell concert of Roy Rogers singing with the Sons of the Pioneers. Roy Rogers, King of the Cowboys, was just about every one's hero when I was growing up. He actually was the founding member in 1933 of the singing group, the Sons of the Pioneers, and today the group with different members continue singing their great harmonizing style of western tunes. I couldn't find out when that farewell concert was taped but it had to be close to the end of Roy's life. He died in 1998. On the program he was a little unsure of himself, missed some of the lyrics, and got a little confused here and there, but when he began to sing and yodel, what a wonderful memory of all those years of watching him chase and capture the bad guys. He talked about how that when they made television programs they always remembered that children were the audience and that's why they made their shows clean. He said some of the programs today were such that he would not even want Trigger to see them. How true! They ended that program with Dale and Roy leading everyone in their own classic, Happy Trails to You. If you are reading this and don't know who Roy, Dale, and Trigger are, well, I am sorry, because you missed out on something very special, a special time in our country, and some of the most decent people who have ever lived in it. Amen.

As you can probably tell I am grasping a little this morning because I am having to make it up as I go. I typically have at least one blog in the assembly process but not today. I had to face the blank page this morning, therefore, I won't be polishing this one very much. Not that my stuff is typically polished but maybe on certain days a little more presentable, perhaps. I do hope that you are doing well and thanking God for the blessings He supplies. We could use some rain. We could use some relief from these August-like temps. We could. We could. And, then I think about those still sifting through the rubble of where their homes recently stood. I think about those who are digging mud out of their living rooms after being flooded. It causes me to pause and rephrase my prayer. Lord be with them. Lord help them. And, thank you Lord for your love for us all. It's not the old just find someone worse off than you deal. No. It's the reality of us counting our blessings and seeing the needs of others, all around us, everyday. It's also remembering that none of us are immune. When we see devastation we think Ike. We think the top of our house demolished. None of us are immune. That's why the world does need, like the song says, love, sweet love. Not some superficial kind of mushy love, but the love that is shed abroad in the hearts of men, women, boys, and girls, the love of God. (See Romans Chapter 5, Verse 5) That's the stuff that counts today. Have a good one and maybe tomorrow. We can all hope. So long until then, and as Roy always said, "Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you." Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: