Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Welcome to wordy Wednesday!

Good morning and welcome to the continuing saga of yours truly as we measure life through the sands of time, or something like that, or maybe not that at all, but how in the world are you any way on this cool-ish Wednesday morning, February 24, 2010? It's about 35 degrees outside as I sit in my warm cozy office slapping my little fat fingers on my keyboard. We had us one genuine snow storm yesterday, that is, if you mean how it came down like a fogging machine, however, none of it stuck, much to the chagrin of kids from one to 99. I exclude myself in that wishing it had because I have too many places to go and too many people to see to have something like a late winter or early Spring snow to slow me down. I will tell you this. The snowflakes were huge. Some said they were as large as a 50 cent piece. They were beautiful, of course, and large enough and heavy enough to splat when they hit my windshield. I saw one lady stopped at a convenience store and her little boy was leaning out the back window face up enjoying the rare taste of snow. He was having a ball.

I think they are predicting a light freeze tonight and I saw one forecast that said we were having yet another cold spell headed our way next week. I may not enjoy the cold like I did before my bones began being so noisy but I will take it any day over the hot, humid stuff that tends to dominate our calendar. I heard someone talking about how much people enjoy living in climates that are fairly steady and mild throughout the year with little to no change in seasons. Not me! I love the anticipation of the seasonal changes and all the tradition and baggage each one carries with it. Finding a spot that is more or less near perfect year round? That almost sounds un-American to me. Now I might reconsider that statement if you define near perfect to be year round temps no higher than 50. But that's not what most people talk about when they wish for Hawaii like breezes. I would have to question living on an Island that has an interstate highway system. What's up with that?

But regardless of the weather,"Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." You thought this was the slogan of the U. S. Postal Service, didn't you? It actually is a saying attributed to Herodotus in 500 B.C. His comment was directed towards a small cadre of mounted message carriers that provided vital information between commanders during war time. A spokesperson for the U. S. Postal Service reports that the service actually has no official slogan, although the one mentioned above was engraved on one of the huge postal buildings many years ago, and the rest, as they say, is history. I suppose having that become your De facto slogan is better than the road worker leaning on his shovel next to a slow men working sign. At any rate, we all can identify with trying to meet expectations, real or imagined. Thus far about the only one I appear to be achieving has to do with continuing to wax on and on even when I have nothing to say. Like today, for instance. I did get a number of comments about my chin bobbing report from yesterday and I am glad so many were able to laugh a little to start their day. Hey, we have plenty of stuff that's not that funny. Right? Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: