Monday, February 15, 2010

Living based on unseen realities!

Another day and another opportunity to get it right on this Monday, February 15, 2010. That's right. I need another day, every single day, in fact, to try and do better in whatever it is I am engaged in. I heard coming in this morning that while most people who have jobs are thankful for their jobs, there are some 45% of us who are unhappy in the particular position we have. I suppose the good news might be that some 55% are not unhappy but that still leaves nearly half of the folks holding down a job who have issues with it. Some of this unhappiness most likely relates to pay since many companies have been more or less frozen during this continuing recession. It's also very true that most places are requiring more and more from their employees as they attempt to stay afloat during this difficult and stormy period we are going through. I also am very aware that many folks work in very difficult environments that cause stress and distress on them.

For me, I start with being so very thankful to be able to have a place to go each day and to be able to do what I do. I actually wish I could do more to help my company to move forward but I am very thankful to be able to help out where I can. This includes doing some things that are not my cup of tea and it also includes having to stretch now and then to cover a particular responsibility. I believe there's an element of recognizing God's providence in where we are that makes waking up each day somewhat easier as we give Him thanks for His provisions. Yesterday our Bible study class began looking at the life and times of Joseph, favored son of Jacob, as found in the Book of Genesis. Nearly everyone is familiar with this famous character who had the famous coat of many colors. However, it is amazing to dissect the details in how God was at work in all the decisions made, good and bad, all the difficulties encountered, as He went about the fulfilling of His plan and purpose even as regular folks went about their daily living.

This to me is a remarkable indication of how God takes care of His own. He had promised Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob particular blessings and while they appeared to be out of reach so often in their daily pursuits, God never left them and He never forsook them as He continued to work out His purpose in providing His promises to them. Think about it. You and I as believers have so many promises that belong to us and just like Joseph God is at work to carry out His word to us. Our problem is that we often become distracted and disabled because of our circumstances or a particular trying time we face. We also tend to think of God's promises as being in the here after instead of them being the source of our daily pursuit in the here and now. We await our final destination but He and His promises to us are real every step of our journey, including the life we have, the work we do, and everything else that concerns us. Joseph's brothers did what they did to him because of their hatred. They intended to do him harm. God intended their evil to be turned into salvation for His chosen people. We have the same God and the same promises today. Therefore, we can affirm His presence in our lives by singing with the kids: "Rise and shine and give God the glory, Children of the Lord!" Amen. ......More later.

No comments: