Monday, February 8, 2010

That will be a glad reunion day!

It’s Monday, February 8, 2010 and Superbowl 44 is history. There is jubilation in New Orleans and Parishes near and far throughout Louisiana. The lowly "Aints" have become the champions of the world for NFL Football and up in Indianapolis the folks are no doubt still stunned by this upset and their Monday will be one filled with second guessing and what might have been. In the midst of all of this celebration and sadness we find that our Great God is good to have given us all another week to do what we can to honor Him with the life He has given to us. Last Friday afternoon I got the urge to visit some of my loved ones, friends, and neighbors who have gone on ahead to their reward. I can visit them at a website devoted to their memory and the cemetery where their headstones mark the place their bones were buried. As I make my way through the list of names I pause to remember so many. Of course some of them, like my immediate family, were very close to me and my memory storage spills out with an overflow of sweet thoughts. I know this type of visit sounds morbid to some of you but it’s become one of those occasional trips I make that reminds me of people who have meant so much to my life.

In addition to my own folks, there are schoolteachers, Church people, school chums, and town folks that I can both see and hear as I pause at the appearance of their name. I used to run with a boy and I spent many a night sleeping over with his parents who have both passed on now. I remember eating at their supper table and wondering how folks could get by on food like that. That’s when I learned that not everyone were accomplished cooks like my Granny Mac and my mom. But those folks were always so good to me and were willing to let me tag along with their son as they went here and there. Some of the older men I remember from them sitting outside the barbershop whittling and telling stories. They pretty much entertained all of us as we waited our turn in line.

I can hear some singers in this group crooning away in their own unique voices. It almost always was off a half step or so but the lyrics came forth from a life that knew first hand what it meant to serve God and others. There are some mentors in that gathering and some encouragers too. Some names remind me of just how brief this life can be and how tragic when it is snuffed out at such a young age. The website has digital photographs of each headstone and as I go from one to the other I am reminded of a song. It is a song I heard many of the people in that place sing, and one that still speaks to my heart: Verse 1)" There will be a happy meeting in Heaven, I know, When we see the many loved ones we've known here below. Gathered on that blessed hilltop with hearts all aglow, That will be a glad reunion day. Chorus: A Glad day, a wonderful day, A Glad day, a glorious day, There with all the holy angels and loved ones to stay, That will be a glad reunion day. Verse 2) When we live a million years in that wonderful place, Basking in the love of Jesus, beholding His face. It will seem but just a moment of praising His grace, That will be a glad reunion day. Chorus: A Glad day, a wonderful day, A Glad day, a glorious day, There with all the holy angels and loved ones to stay, That will be a glad reunion day." This song was written by Adger Pace who was born in 1882. I can still sing it by heart and look forward to singing it with all those gone on ahead in the not too distant future! May God help us all to have a blessed week. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: