Monday, February 22, 2010

We recognize our need of God in this matter!

Hello out there in blogger land, welcome to Monday, and also to February 22, 2010. Our local fellowship of people in our congregation have asked me and six other men to help lead out in the process of finding God's man to become our new Senior Pastor (our Shepherd). I was on the pulpit committee that brought our most recent pastor to us, over 25 years ago. Brother Mike resigned last November and we are now ready to proceed with the next phase of God's plan for us. What a tremendous responsibility and what an humbling privilege to be asked to assist in this undertaking. As in all things, God's word coupled to our faith informs our actions in this area. The men I am serving with are true servants. They and I desire one thing and one thing only, to see God's chosen leader to become our designated leader for our learning and development, and for the furtherance of the Kingdom of God. Sure, there are many thoughts and opinions that surround such a significant decision, we are Baptists after all. In the end, in our form of Church government, the local congregation will have the final say. However, we on this committee have been charged with the responsibility to seek God's face and to bring our recommendation to our people.

There are many things we involve ourselves in that we consider to be important. Stuff relating to our family, our work, and our personal business are serious priorities that require time and attention. But I can't think of anything more serious than the called out assembly (The Church), and her leadership as outlined in The Scriptures. There are many different viewpoints on how leaders should be recognized, qualified, and chosen, but in the end, our desire is to have God's man to be the one we have as our Pastor. In the meeting where this committee was chosen, one of the men stood up and talked about how crucial it was to have the right man leading our Church. He said it has to do with truth and not just truth but the truth of God that impacts the lives of every person who comes through our doors. He went on to share how this emphasis on truth can and will make a difference in the lives of our children and their children. It is a matter of eternal consequence. That, my friend, is not only an accurate portrayal, it also again points out the importance of this matter.

Someone jokingly said to me that since my last time chairing this type of a committee brought someone who lasted for 25 years, all I need to do is to do it again so that we will have another 25 year run. Let me tell you how I see it. If we go through a process that fixes us on God's choice and His will, then regardless of who it is, regardless of who likes it and doesn't, and even regardless of the outcomes, if it is God's choice we will be okay, one way or the other! Believe me, I feel the weight of this responsibility and it does drive me to my knees. I know the other fellows on the committee have the same response. Some might think we are overstating the seriousness of this matter. Yet, when we consider that it has to do with God's Kingdom and the opportunity to reach out to a lost and dying world, yes, it is that serious. Therefore, someone suggested I write a blog requesting prayer for our work. Now you have read about this work that we are engaged in and I humbly ask that whoever you are and wherever you are, that you would pray that we would follow God's leadership, period, end of story. Meanwhile, I ask that God would bless us all as we seek to serve Him with the life and the opportunities He has given to each of us. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: