Thursday, February 4, 2010

Welcome to my version of the 700 Club!

Good morning, it is Thursday, February 4, 2010 and I bring you greetings for the 700th time since starting out on this blogging journey back in the summer of 2007. You thought maybe I was promoting Pat Robertson, the televangelist and political pundit? Don’t even think such a thing. I’m sure he has done some good for the Kingdom but he certainly is not my cup of tea. I’m talking about 700 pieces of ‘not ready for prime time’ material that I have shared over these many months. I looked up 700 pages and found a variety of books that fit that number. Written on everything from health matters to recipes, they, like mine have covered a wide variety of subjects. I did not see any title that was a recognized hit and that too is very consistent with my forth and back musings put forth in these daily blogs.

Some days I find myself having to be reminded that I do not write specifically for a designated audience, I actually write to share my thoughts, ideas, and also my heart on subjects that mean something to me. I know there has to be a sense of ‘sameness’ about some of what I write. I can read a Bible lesson I wrote more than twenty years ago and it sounds mostly like what I would write today on the same passage. This doesn’t mean that I may not have a changed angle or viewpoint, but the style and wording would be somewhat the same. I do know there are many who receive my blog each day that share my basic beliefs, therefore, we can gain encouragement and a sense of togetherness as we struggle our way through the good times, the in-between times, and those times that we would rather not have to deal with. However, the fabric of life includes all of the above and we are privileged to have God on our side and each other to lean on.

I will be the first to say it takes discipline to write something every day. However, I greatly enjoy the challenge of identifying a thought, idea, or remembrance and then attempting to report on it by means of this daily communication channel. The empirical data on what it takes to build a habit is essentially all over the map. Some studies indicate it takes 21 days before a habit is formed but others indicate a huge variety of days depending on the habit being talked about. I don’t know if doing my daily blog is a habit but it certainly qualifies based on the number of days that I have done it. While I am not trying to be a smart aleck here, I will tell you there is much more swirling around those vast empty places in my mind that I have not commented on than the stuff that I have shared. Appropriateness is always a consideration and let’s face it: There are many things better not mentioned or talked about. I do appreciate those who read what I go on and on about each day. Thanks. If anyone out there was caused to pause and think or reflect or to seek God, even one time, then all 700 have been more than worth it. That reminds me of the time way back when.......….but I’ll wait for number 701 to share that story. Until then, may God bless and keep in mind this warning: There will be more later. Amen.

No comments: