Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chin bobbing for z-z-z-z-z!

It's Tuesday, February 23, 2010, and I am officially confused. So what else is new? I am beginning to remember my grandfather's stories about unexplained cold snaps back in the day. Here we are just about ready to go into March and we are flirting with another round of freezing temperatures. The official word from Al Gore is this all happened because of global warming. Also the year when it was unusually warm when we didn't think we even had winter, that was also caused by global warming. That's also the likely reason that the Colts lost the Superbowl, global warming. I suppose you can't argue with a fellow who has become by some estimates the first green czar billionaire. That, my friend, is a whole lot of green, no matter how you account for it. But these are some interesting days we are living in and since it's the only days we have right now, then we need to do our best to make the best of them. They are getting away from us and as they do we can see the ravages of age and time. My wife says that over the last year or so I tend to fall asleep when I get comfortable even when we are visiting our children. She says she is used to seeing me that way but they are not, one moment talking and the next they see me with my mouth open and think maybe I've suffered a really bad attack or something. She wonders why suddenly I find it necessary to take a snooze when I never did before. Good question, I suppose global warming may be behind it because I've not had to deal with it in the past.

I will admit to being a little more tired than normal of late and with good reason, burning the candle at both ends and in the middle and all of that. My sudden onset snore fest was so obvious Sunday at our Brittany's birthday celebration that my eldest son strongly recommended my wife drive us home. In fact, he insisted. I thought about getting her to take a photo but now that I am scaring the children there's no use giving me the heebie-jeebies too. I remember how those Geritol commercials used to make me smile as they promised a cure for tired blood but I wonder if that stuff is still available. Back when I was a kid I think one of the fellows in our community liked Geritol because of the alcohol content but I never noticed it making him any more spry or active. We always talk about little children experiencing growing pains, maybe I'm experiencing growing older pains. Go figure. I can remember how my grandfather would wake up from a short nap and try to act as if he had never dozed off. He would grab his paper up to his face or say something to try and rejoin the conversation. It was always good for a laugh but now I find out I am a one man entertainment center in a macabre sort of way.

I do find myself drinking one of those Monster, low calorie, low carb, drinks that supposedly wake you up in the afternoons especially if I am out driving around. You might get by with sleep walking now and then but sleep driving really has a very low percentage for survival. Typically, the first thing I say when I wake up while sitting in a chair somewhere is to announce that I was not sleeping. Like my wife's grandmother who always denied falling asleep, she would go to the mat in defending herself as only resting her eyes. Wow! This global warming stuff is really serious. It's begun to impact the rhythm of my life and I'm none too pleased about it. Maybe Al Gore can help. Has anyone seen or heard from him lately? It seems like ever since this winter has broken all the records and the so-called scientific evidences for warming are coming apart at the seams, he's no where to be found. Maybe he has resorted to hibernation to save energy and with the weather all mixed up he missed his wake up call. Just kidding. My boys tell me they hate it when words come out of their mouths and their ears hear their dad speaking. Hey, it's even worse to be found imitating Paw Paw Mac as his chin bobbed in sweet slumber. But, I will tell you that he was a giant of a good and Godly man and I could do worse. Have a great day and may God bless. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: