Friday, May 1, 2009

Tribute to a woman of distinction!

This coming Sunday is the celebration of my mom’s 85th birthday. That’s a big number in the age game but a very special one for a one-of-a-kind mom and I am thanking God for her on this Friday, May 1, 2009. She may not be well known outside of her circle, but her circle is large and it includes many faces, young and old, who love, respect, and honor her for the great woman she is. First and foremost, she is my mom and I am her son. She did what she could to help me grow into being a child of God and a productive member of society. I’ve not always done either as well as I should but it’s not because of her lack of trying. Thanks Mom for always being there for us and in my case for these nearly sixty-three years.

You have heard my story before about how blessed I have been to have such wonderful women in my life. I think about my grandmother Mac, my mom, my wife, my mother-in-law, my wife’s grandmother, my sisters, and many of my aunts. What I notice about my mom is her lifetime of resolve and determined commitment. She believes in God and does her best to serve Him. She loves her children and continues to mother us all even as she edges towards this great milestone. She is a friend to those in need and enjoys spending quality time with her huge brood from the eldest to the youngest great-great grandchild. Moms are the universal language of love and reflect God’s provision for His hands extended in helping shape little ones for time and eternity.

Often the men who served in WWII are thought about as being a part of the greatest generation. But rarely do we hear much about the women. Most of them, like my mom, stayed home, took care of the children, praying and waiting every day for their men to come home. Moms are special. Moms remember stuff that others wouldn’t even notice to begin with. My mom remembers that when I was born and they brought me home in the middle of August there was a freak cold spell and they had to heat up the room for me to have a bath. Only a mom would remember something like that! She remembers me being one of her best eaters and often says she wishes she would have saved for my grandchildren some of the countless grocery sacks that I had drawn pictures all over. As I think about this remarkable woman my heart fills up with a sense of overwhelming blessing as I meditate upon her being God’s gift to us as our mom. I love you, Mom. Happy 85th Birthday and thanks for always being a woman of distinction in my life. May God bless you. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: