Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Don't wait too long to thank those who have helped you to get to where you are today.

We lost another family member last week, our Uncle Bill, 87. I plan to attend his graveside service scheduled for today. He was married to my mom’s sister, Aunt Helen, who passed away a few years ago. They were significant people in my life growing up. They were a part of a host of folks who did what they could to help me make progress in my journey in life. Therefore, today on this Tuesday, May 26, 2009 I am remembering Uncle Bill and others who contributed to my life. I have heard so many express how they are their own ‘self-made’ person and how they have essentially made it all on their own. While that may be a popular way to inflate one’s ego, rarely can any of us truthfully say we have done it all on our own.

One of the things I am most thankful for in my life is how God allowed me to recognize the huge contributions others have made into my life in time for me to thank many of them personally. I give God the credit for this recognition because it actually occurred at a time when I was pretty full of myself, therefore, I know, had He not slapped me up side the head I would not have even entertained a desire to seek out and thank those who had done so much to help me grow and development. The very process of identifying these folks also made it clear that in addition to them helping me, I discovered how truly blessed I was to have folks who cared enough. Caring is wonderful. Sympathy is good. But many people put shoe leather to their feelings, reached out to me, and I have profited as a result.

Uncle Bill was a thoughtful person; intelligent, and always tuned in to the person he was talking to. Staying with their children, my cousins, during summer vacation taught me about a world larger than the rural community where we made our home. I can remember a comment from my eldest son about how interesting it was to talk with Uncle Bill. Consistent. Respectful and engaging, he was a good listener who cared about what you were saying. That’s pretty much a lost art today. He and Aunt Helen also passed on books to us, many books, also magazines, and other materials that broadened my outlook and gave me perspective about the world. Seems like increasingly I find myself saying farewell to so many that have meant so much in my life. But with the passing of time this is the natural outcome and as each one leaves this life for the next I remember how they helped this little country boy and I pause to thank God for them and all they did for me. May we all take the time now to thank those who have contributed to us throughout our lives and may we not wait too late to do so. Amen. ….More later.