Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bidding them farewell for now with a prayer on my heart!

This past Tuesday evening we had our close out for this year’s 26-week run of our inner city Bible club program. It was an exhilarating experience and I’m still basking in the glow off the faces of these precious children and that’s what I am writing about on this Thursday, May 7, 2009. I know there was a presidential election back when General Grant was running where this phrase was said about him: “He is a giant among pygmies but a pygmy among giants.” That may be how people would assess me as I worked my way from child to child wishing them a safe and happy summer. I could not have felt more tall or honored as they hugged me and expressed their love and appreciation. This session concluded the 13th year of this ministry and it was either my 10th or 11th. During that time we have worked with hundreds of children in loving them and in sharing God’s message of hope in Christ.

During my time serving in this ministry I’ve seen Brother Kim’s children grow up and become actively engaged in hands-on conduct of the games, songs, and Bible lessons shared each week. His children all started out as clubbers, then became leaders in training, and now the three eldest daughters are gifted leaders with the elder son coming on next year as a leader in training and little Jonathan, their preschooler, making his way up through the ranks. Talk about a family business! In addition, we have seen folks within the mission come and go as coaches and helpers but the group we now have is stable and dependable and this has been a tremendous help in seeing this program grow and develop.

What is our main purpose in going each week to work with these children? Our number one objective is to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ in a clear and relevant manner so that each child can respond to its message and be saved. Secondly, we desire to build up those who are saved in their faith by teaching them the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth as a foundation for their lives. Now I will tell you the part that is so hard for me. As I said farewell to each of these kids who by any and all accounts are seriously at risk, I couldn’t help but choke up as I thought about their futures and just how many will or will not make it through the summer to return for our 14th year, or which ones will hear the lure of the culture swirling around them and choose to put something like the un-cool Bible club behind them. On my way home I had some tears as I asked God to provide for and protect these youngsters. We may not make a huge dent in the huge problems that exist within the inner city where these kids live but we can make a ‘giant’ difference in the hearts and minds of those who respond, accept Christ, and seek to make their way forward with His help. That’s why we go. That’s what we pray about. And, that’s why I would ask you to say a prayer for: our Crosstrainers Bible Club kids. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: