Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

The thought occurred to me that within my immediate family circle I’m surrounded by moms who have a huge amount of experience. Looking only at my mom, my wife, and my three daughters-in-law, they total well over 150 years of mothering expertise. That my friend is one huge amount of kissing hurts away and wiping runny noses. The treasure God had in mind when He gave us moms is the subject I am visiting in today’s blog on this Friday May 8, 2009. Our practice has always been to make a big deal for Mother’s Day as something special for the queen of our home. I notice those moms around me and how their hearts go out to their children and it makes me aware that God built that special instinct into their very being. Government and societal forces have done their best to redefine, redirect, and in some instances, to do away with this basic instinct but I am most thankful to report it is alive and well and continues to thrive in the hearts of those who nurture and pour themselves into our lives.

It was Abraham Lincoln who observed this about his mother’s influence, “I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." Most of you know his story and how he grew up very poor but think about how rich he was to have a mom who cared so deeply for him. A mother’s heart seems not to know the bottom of that well named sacrifice. I’ve been the recipient of this type of love from my mom and I know my boys have from their mom and my grandchildren have from their moms as well. This is the legacy that has been handed down to our clan. It is a legacy rich in love, devotion, sacrifice, and determined caring and concern. What should be our response to our being privileged to have moms like this? My assessment: We should exhibit an ongoing recognition from a grateful heart to God as shown in how we shower these special women with our love and respect.

Happy Mother’s Day 2009 and here’s a poem written by an anonymous author that I think expresses our feelings on this occasion:

Dear Mom, I said a prayer for you
to thank the Lord above
For blessing me with a lifetime
of your tenderhearted love.
I thanked God for the caring
you've shown me through the years,
For the closeness we've enjoyed
in time of laughter and of tears.
And so, I thank you from the heart
for all you've done for me
And I bless the Lord for giving me
the best mother there could be.

Amen. ……More later.

No comments: