Friday, May 15, 2009

Happy Birthday baby sister!

Good Friday morning. I do hope you have had a productive work week and now are looking forward to ending the week on Saturday and beginning the brand new week on Sunday. These are some of the thoughts that are swirling around my mind on this Friday, May 15, 2009. Today I pause to remember the 57th anniversary of the birth of my baby sister Kayla. After having fought an 18 month battle with leukemia, she left this world for her heavenly home back in 1979 leaving behind a testimony that still speaks today. There's something about her being the baby of our family that causes us to remember her in a very special way: as the baby of our family! Her short life is one of those painful events that can never be adequately explained or understood in terms of it making sense to our human thoughts. It is only through the eyes of faith that we can embrace the reality of God's perfect will in all things. We thank God for the time He gave us to enjoy such a sweet and loving child who in her last days here did her best to tell one and all about how they too can join her in that heavenly home. May God bless her daughters and all those who remember her on this day.

Memories are a special part of our make up and I thank God for those that allow us to revisit those who have gone on before us. Sure, tears flow but in many ways the memories are like a special gift for us to rehearse and relive the life and times of special people in our lives. We saw first hand with our dear Brother Milton what can happen when the brain function is injured and memories become difficult to get hold of or they become clouded and distorted. Even as I sit here this morning I can see myself, Kayla, and my brother Donald playing on the front porch of my granddad's house. Running up and down the stairs, playing cowboys and Indians, yeah, that's right, we could play those imaginary games back then before it became politically incorrect. But how wonderful it is to recall those images and almost hear our voices as we played. What a blessing!

It's even a greater blessing to know where Kayla is today. She is more alive now than she ever was in her short sojourn here on planet earth. How can we know exactly where she is? As I grow older I am attracted more and more to that passage from the Apostle John's Gospel in the division we call Chapter 14. It is here that we hear from our Savior as He sought to give comfort to His followers, those who heard His voice on the day He spoke these words, and to those of us who read with the ears of faith today: 1) “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2) In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3) And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. ” I don't know the location or the map coordinates to this real place Jesus talked about but I know that it exists and I know that He is there and I know that Kayla is too! I'm looking forward to being in that same place when God calls me home, how about you? Happy Birthday baby sister. We have not forgotten. May God bless each one to have a great Saturday and may we all find ourselves at the regular meeting place with other believers to begin our brand new week on Sunday. Until next time, May God be with you till we meet again! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: