Monday, May 4, 2009

There's no place like home, that is if you can drive through the rainstorm to get there!

Good Monday morning out there in blogger land, how in the world are you anyway on this quick moving year that lands us already on May 4, 2009? I am just back from over in the promised land, Louisiana. Okay, it's not a joke. Most folks wouldn't think of Louisiana as much of a place to call the promised land but that's where I grew up, that's where I am from, and when I return it's like going home. With life you get a combination dinner situation with good, bad, and indifferent memories thrown into the mix. But how thankful I am that I do have plenty of good memories of my growing up in a rural town in Louisiana. I was there yesterday to honor my mom on her 85th birthday. We had a blast! Because of one of the worst blinding rainstorms to come along in my lifetime our traveling group was reduced. My eldest son and his family took good advice and turned back before they hit the worst of it. My wife had to stay home and take care of our middle son's brood since he had to spend the night in the hospital Saturday night. He had an adverse reaction to a new blood pressure medicine and they are trying to get his sodium, potassium, and electrolytes back into the proper range. I persevered in the storm and did a lot of praying and a lot of gripping the wheel and thank God I made it, went to Church with my mom, and then enjoyed a time of feasting and fellowship with her and the others who came. It was one of those days that we will always cherish as we think about all that she has meant to us over the years.

Friday evening I went to the grocery store to get all the stuff we needed for our big family cookout Saturday night in honor of my wife's birthday and our middle son's birthday. I first went up to the big mall where my wife works and had supper with her. Once at the grocery store it's always a challenge for those of us who really don't know where stuff is. You find yourself trying to read signs, look into other people's baskets, and do just about anything to find those black olives which were supposed to be sliced and I bought chopped. That do anything excludes, of course, asking directions because surely a person of my intellect and standing can discover where they hide the black olives, right? I had to get the meat person to fetch me some meat I was looking for only to have a problem because she was a chicken person and didn't really know that much about beef. I wasn't too interested in her testimony about her job skills I just needed her to go and get me some additional packages of meat! On Saturday we spent the day getting ready for the big cookout. It was a wonderful time together but our middle son was feeling very poorly and we ended up with him at the emergency room.

I have one piece of advice about going to the emergency room during a swine flu outbreak. Just say no! People were stacked up like wood, not really but I always liked that analogy for some reason. But people were sitting everywhere inside, outside, and most of them were wearing masks. It was like something out of a scary movie that I remember, oh yeah, it's the one that comes on every day called the nightly news! At any rate, after seeing it was going to be hours before he could see the doctor and knowing we had our trip for early Sunday we had our daughter-in-law bring us the kids so she could stay with our son and we carried the kids home with us. Life is always giving us new opportunities to update and adapt on the fly. We finally got everyone to bed just before midnight and then I was up and running early for my white knuckle ride through the rapids to get to my old home place. Mom. Home. Those are great things that God has given to me in my life and it makes me aware that He awaits our arrival there at that final homecoming where there will no longer be any sudden illnesses, changes of plan, rainstorms, or any other thing that will hinder our sheer delight in being with Him in our home! There are plenty more funny details and anecdotes but I will leave those for another day. Take a deep breath, say a strong prayer, and get ready to face this brand new work week with God's help! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: