Tuesday, June 4, 2019

“When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.” ― Mark Twain

Good morning and welcome. It is Tuesday, June 4, 2019, and I do hope you are doing well today. I have seen many appeals from different individuals asking that we return to a time when we can have different points of view without resorting to hate mongering and recriminations. I've worked with, attended Church with, and had good relationships with many people who see things very differently than I do. I don't have to agree with their way of seeing things in order to love them and to support their right to make decisions as provided to each of us in our form of government. I well remember an older lady we served in Church with for many years. She would let everyone know her grandparents were Democrats and her parents were Democrats and that she would always be one too. I think I might be an independent that typically votes Republican because of the choices available. I see many of the critics of President Trump who are attempting to brand all Christians with his known past behavior. I don't know of any Christians who condone the things that are obviously wrong in his life. Most of those who voted for him were faced with a choice between him and his commitment to focus on the needs of our nation versus a slate of candidates openly dedicated to changing the very values and principles our nation was founded upon. I know that sounds nuanced to many, but, it's the truth as I know it and thus far, I'm still sticking with it. And, one more time, I don't hate you if you disagree with me.

I have been studying some to prepare for my annual physical coming up later this month. Those who subscribe to the theory that things get better with age need to clarify that concept with me. I can remember when I used to, without any thought at all, get up out of a chair. I now find myself helping to get myself up out of a chair. What's up with that? I am running late on my physical. This has caused some consternation to the program we are a part of that tries to keep us on track. Our records indicate you are behind on this test, that test, and the other test. As a diabetic, they remind me of the importance of staying up to date with all of the checks and balances designed to help me manage my disease. I get that. And, I actually agree with them. Unfortunately, the primary care doctor had to cancel my regularly scheduled physical and now we are in the rescheduled and waiting process. In other words, it's not my fault. The studying is to prepare myself to discuss all the things we need to cover when we meet. You know. Like helping myself up versus getting up. Stuff like that. I do like my doctor. Maybe not as much as my previous one who is now serving our Lord as a medical missionary in Africa. My new doctor is very personable and businesslike. I mostly try to sort things into categories. The things that are experienced because of hanging around for threescore and two years and counting versus those that might need further review. Most likely, when asked, I probably will not use the "I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I am in." That one typically doesn't seem to work so well.

Now you know why friends have always said they will pray for my doctor. You do know they were joking. Right? We do live in a mixed up world. I heard about the young woman who eats only organic hoping to live to be 100 while she rarely, if ever, visits her 100-year-old grandmother. I also know that my recollection is not too swift these days and there are times when I can very much identify with this issue: "I am having amnesia, dementia, and deja vu, all at the same time. I think I've forgotten this same thing before . . ." I'll close with this older fellow's testimony. It will give me something to shoot for. ~ "I've sure gotten old! I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement, new knees, fought prostate cancer and diabetes. I'm half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts. Have bouts with dementia. Have poor circulation; hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92. Have lost all my friends. But, thank God, I still have my drivers license." ~ Lest someone misunderstand, I am thankful for the time God has granted to me. I pray that I will use it as He would have me to. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: