Thursday, June 20, 2019

Happy 33rd Wedding Anniversary to our Chris and Sherrie!

Things are back to normal, or, at least with The Wife home, back to our normal. It is Thursday, June 20, 2019, and, I pause to recognize and congratulate our eldest Chris and his wife Sherrie on their 33rd wedding anniversary. That, my friend, is a good long run, and, we give thanks and praise to God for this couple, their three girls, Tiff, Britt, and Stef, and their seven grandchildren. God has been good. Happy Anniversary and may He continue to bless. Amen. ...Our love, mom, and dad.

When many of you read this, I will be at the doctor for my annual physical. No Community Coffee until after my tests are run. No food. Just water. This is why I always do my best to get an early morning appointment. There are two ways to look at it. One, I get finished and can get on with my regular business, typically, by 9 a.m. The other way is to consider I am the first patient. This can mean that some of the medical folks are still waking up, but, I've always felt like getting in and getting out is best for me. I have been working on my mental checklist of things I need to discuss with the doctor. I try to weigh a real problem versus an irritant that comes with the territory, the age-related stuff. That is not always so easy because they tend to always be moving the needle on when a person reaches old age. In a survey, here's what people at different ages thought about when a person is officially in the old age bracket: It's no surprise that the older people get, the longer they think it takes for a person to reach old age: "On average, adults between the ages of 30 and 49 think old age begins at 69. People who are currently 50-64 believe old age starts at 72. Responders who are 65 and older say old age begins at 74." The Wikipedia article on the subject yielded these comments: "Some gerontologists have recognized the diversity of old age by defining sub-groups. One study distinguishes the young old (60 to 69), the middle old (70 to 79), and the very old (80+). Another study's sub-grouping is young-old (65 to 74), middle-old (75–84), and oldest-old (85+). A third sub-grouping is "young old" (65–74), "old" (74–84), and "old-old" (85+). Describing sub-groups in the 65+ population enables a more accurate portrayal of significant life changes." Taking all of this into consideration, I would either be young-old or medium-old, but, knowing this doesn't make my achy breaky bones feel any better.

I read several articles on this subject and for those of you who are still trying to figure out whether you are 'old' or not, I selected these 7 ways that can help you to decide:

1. You make audible grunts, groans, or sighs whenever you sit down, stand up, or reach for anything.

2. Your S-M-T-W-T-F-S pillbox has AM and PM (even midday) compartments.

3. You have something on your body that hurts or “is giving you trouble” at any given moment. Could be a bad knee or a rotator cuff, a back molar or just a crick in your neck. Doesn’t matter, you’re a 24/7 menu of aches and pains.

4. Your hair is vanishing from your head only to reappear, coming out your ears.

5. You make your kids help you with tech devices. Could be the Wi-Fi. Could be the remote. You just don’t want to learn a new thing. You liked the old thing the way it was when you re-learned it the last time after the even older thing. You don’t feel like dealing with it, so you call your own, personal IT Guy.

6. You fairly consistently ask “have I ever told you this story?” and even if they say they have you retell the story anyway...

7. Your graduation year from high school is now an official Wacky Dress-Up Day in grade schools.

Many of my younger readers will not necessarily identify with this subject, however, many of us do, and whether the younger ones like it or not, if the Lord allows us to live on, it is a coming attraction. Have a great rest of the day and I always encourage us to be thankful to God for all He has done, is doing, and will do for each of us going forward. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: