Tuesday, June 18, 2019

“The past beats inside me like a second heart.” ― John Banville

My mom and my dad, summer of 1953, before he died the following January.
I'm feeling slightly relieved this morning. The wife read yesterday's offering and thought it was good except for the slight issue with ownership of our Mr. Bentley. She said he is mine and I say he is hers. But, other than that, she got a kick out of the stuff I shared. It doesn't always go over that well, but, she had heard about all the rain and was feeling very blessed. I told her the grass should be knee high by the time she gets back late Wednesday. It is Tuesday, June 18, 2019, and we all continue the journey appointed to us by the Lord. I saw a lot of vintage photographs on Facebook as people reminisced about their dads and families. It was interesting to read the stories that accompanied the pictures. Some lost their dads in one of the wars. They were infants when they deployed, therefore, they've only known them through the memories of others. Some are still searching for their birth dads. Others speak of the great influence and blessing their dads have been in their lives. I am thankful for the kind words said to me by my three boys. I suppose as I speed towards my continued aging, those kinds of things mean much to me. I fear it has to do with the sentimental phase of life. I never thought I would end up being so easily touched. Who knows? Next thing might be a subscription to the Hallmark Movie Channel. Thankfully, not today, and, not soon, one would hope.

The wife did prepare me a Fathers Day feast before she skipped town. Pot roast, potatoes, carrots, rice, gravy, fried okra, peas, cornbread, sliced tomatoes, homemade pepper sauce, iced tea, and a carrot cake for dessert. Her 'big' dinners are always something special but occasionally she hits all the right notes. And, this past Sunday was one of those days. It was one of those meals where you forget you ever were a diabetic. It was legendary. So much so, I couldn't stop remembering Paw Paw Mac and my brother-in-law Kenneth, both in glory for many years, but, how many times they would eat a meal just like that and feel like they had just been blessed in such a special way. Paw Paw was not one to pass out compliments, period. However, when Granny put out a spread like the one I had on Sunday, well, he couldn't help himself. He had to acknowledge her hard work and the quality of the outcome. And, Kenneth, he used to tell me he didn't even know people ate the way we did until he married into our family. My wife outdid herself and it was appreciated. Melt in your mouth delicious. She had hoped to be over in Louisiana in time to attend Church with her sister. Therefore, they left right after lunch. Right after. Before the kitchen was cleaned up. I meekly asked, "I suppose you want me to do the dishes?" She simply said, "That would be nice." It took me most of the afternoon, off and on, but I did get it done. What a meal!

Okay. I will admit it again, I am a sucker for nostalgic experiences. My wife wasn't a great cook when we married. She had the basics down because back in those days they prepared girls to know their way around the kitchen. Remember, we were just kids when we married. She continued to learn from her mom, my mom, and our grandmothers. As they used to say back where I come from, "She learned real good." Even as a newlywed she could make biscuits from scratch and we ate them often. How many young brides can do that? I recently checked and it is obvious that I have strewn a good portion of the keystrokes in my blogs talking about good food and her cooking. Sorry. I come from a line of food people. Some eat to live and we were folks who lived to eat. I mention that again because there are so many throwback memories encapsulated in enjoying such a legendary meal. For those who always eat right and all of that stuff, well, I know you are most likely doing the right thing, but, I wouldn't trade my homecooked menu for anything. And, as always, I am unanimous in my conclusion. Have a great rest of the day and maybe all this bragging will get me a big homemade breakfast when she returns. I would give you the menu, but, I've made us all hungry enough by now. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More Later.

No comments: