Wednesday, June 12, 2019

I thought it would be short today. Oh well, we can always hope and sing with Annie: "Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I love ya Tomorrow!"

Hello and welcome. It is Wednesday, June 12, 2019, and I send a warm and hearty welcome to everyone tuning in to today's episode. I can't exactly remember the format of how they used to call out the stardate on the old Star Trek series, but, I do know for those who are keeping track, this is the 3,088th episode of The View From Here. And counting, as they say. The ever so slightly cooler temperatures yesterday and today are very welcome in my world. I started to say they were a sight for sore eyes but I'm not 100% sure exactly what that means and I'm not interested enough to look it up. Earlier in the week they were saying cold front and predicting even lower than we've seen. Maybe I should have said very slightly cooler. But, I'll take it. This past Sunday morning in our Bible Study share group, (called a care group where the class breaks up into small groups), a gentleman was lamenting the weather forecast because he is so cold natured. He said it is maybe even going to dip into the 50s and he held himself and shivered. I know he is sensitive in this way due to health issues, but, it still sounded odd given the really hot weather we are already having. It may be where we all are headed. If so, when I get there it will probably save on cooling costs. I used to dream some about living somewhere where it was generally much cooler than here, however, I am beginning to see the early changes in how I no longer can handle the cold like I used to. I suppose I waited too long. At any rate, enjoy the lower humidity because summer hasn't even officially begun yet. (June 20).

We now have the digital electrical meters. Before, we had the model that made a noise when it was really working hard. On a hot day, that old dude would be hitting shrill high notes with its whirring tune. Now, we get the silent treatment. Until we get the electric bill. That's when I hit the shrill high notes. Just joking. I really can't complain. This will be the second summer for our new central cooling and heating system and it has significantly reduced our monthly outlay for electricity. This is due to technological improvements that continue to improve efficiencies across the board. We have complete trust in the technician who sold us the system we have. However, when he told me his guess as to how much I should save, given my old unit versus the new one, well, I couldn't help but adopt a wait and see on that one. Fortunately, he was right. One lady said she was staying cool by not reading all the heated and inflammatory political postings on social media. That's probably better advice than the old one about cooling off by eating iceberg lettuce. Some might like the Church sign that reads: It may be hot but our facility is Prayer Conditioned. Here's a suggestion to those who want to stay diet and health conscious: It's so hot you could fry an egg white on the sidewalk.

Just so you know, it is not hot in every location across the fruited plain. On June 11, 2019, a place called Thermal, California registered a high of 113, while Aspen, Colorado on that same day saw a low of 26 degrees. I suppose everyone is in search of contentment including the weather. The Bible has much to say about finding contentment. Here are some extracted verses from a portion of the Apostle Paul's letter to the local fellowship of believers in Philippi, Greece.

Philippians Chapter 4

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

14 Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress. 15 Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but you only. 16 For even in Thessalonica you sent aid once and again for my necessities. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account. 18 Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God. 19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 20 Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

I included the context of the passage because the familiar 4:13 is bantered about as if it stands completely on its own. I think there is ample evidence of how to find and embrace contentment in these verses. Enjoy and may God help us to hear His word to us as we read. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: