Thursday, October 29, 2020

“Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are the detours you didn't mean to take.” ― Angela N. Blount

What a difference a day makes. Right? You just never know what might happen next. It is Thursday, October 29, 2020, and we continue the journey.  Tuesday evening we carried our middle son Jimmy to the ER due to some issues he was dealing with. We thought it could be related to some medication changes recently made by his mental health team. In the wee hours of Wednesday morning, the wife was informed that Jimmy had tested positive for COVID-19 and will be admitted to the hospital for further observation. Hello! That means we have been exposed. We contacted our medical provider and they arranged for us to have the test. I got the idea that since I continue to be asymptomatic, the doctor thought maybe the test for me would be more of a confidence boost if it is negative. Duh! If it turns out positive, I suppose that would be something totally different. Right? Once the test for Jimmy came back positive, the wife had to leave the ER where they were awaiting a bed for him in the hospital. You just never know what a day might bring. I do appreciate prayers on behalf of our Jimmy. And, I would tell you this about that. This was the first time for me to have a virtual visit, (they will not let you come in for a visit if you have been exposed). Guess what? Doctors are late for the virtual visit just like they are for the in-person visit. Who would have guessed?


Later in the day, I dutifully showed up and got my old pickup truck in line for the COVID test at the time I was told to be there, 2:45 P.M. It was one of those drive-through tent deals but they were not doing any testing when I got there. It was raining and the windchill was brisk. One security guy was making sure the cars were lined up. They did begin to show some activity a little after 3 p.m. and finally, a lady doing the set-up processing came over and verified the information I had written on a sheet of paper and put on the dash. She gave me a thumbs up and I then awaited my turn to be motioned to the drive-through tent. When it came to my turn I drove up and the technician asked me to roll down my window, pull my mask down, and lean back on the headrest of the seat. She said the swab on the stick needed 15 seconds to collect the sample and it would be somewhat unpleasant. She then proceeded to stick the long swab up my nostril far enough to assure that it was uncomfortable. She twirled it around and around and then removed it. Now I wait for up to 48 hours for the results. 

The wife gets her test this morning. She talked with our son's nurse last evening late and once they get him hydrated, he may be able to come home to continue his recovery and quarantine. We didn't know we would be doing the things we ended up doing after all of this showed up. However, I am here to say how thankful we are to God that at this time the wife and I remain asymptomatic.  We did have a number of other things on our calendar that will have to be set aside until the smoke clears, fourteen days out. The doctors on the video visit both reminded us that our best approach is to just stay at home. That sounds pretty simple, but, as we thought about this, that, and the other, it will require some doing if we are to do just that. Oh well, we now know a little more about COVID than we did before this all came down. It's interesting how Google becomes the go-to source to find out other folks' experiences along with recommendations, protocols, and other important details. Meanwhile, I again say I am thankful because as I finish today's edition, Mr. Bentley is curled up at my feet and while we don't know what this day will bring, we do know the One who does. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: