Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Eugene Nathaniel Butler, “Sometimes we must look outside our own backyards to realize how big the world is and how blessed we are.”

Good morning and welcome to Wednesday, October 28, 2020, where we are dealing with some misting rain and a wee bit of cooler weather in the low 50's. Mr. Bentley doesn't really care for the wet. He sure was glad when the roofing company loaded up their stuff and left our premises. The photo above was taken right after they left. One lady on the Shih Tzu Facebook Page said Mr. Bentley has the look of an older stoic man. Stoic. I'm not sure that's accurate since the modern usage of that word has to do with one who endures painful situations patiently. As far as the roofers go, he can hear them still at it in and around our subdivision as others also are dealing with the hail damage we experienced. He hears that beating and banging, stops, looks up at me, and gives me that look of disdain. One of the things that amaze us about Mr. Bentley is the way he loves. He loves the wife in a special way. He loves our middle son Jimmy in a different way, and, then he loves me, but, it too is customized to fit his notions of each of us as individuals. We didn't know a pup would operate that way. He is teaching us things all the time. And, I will say, unequivocally, once again, him coming to live at our place has been a blessing. At times, an exasperated blessing but a blessing none-the-less.


Songs that are well written and they stand the test of time are still relevant because of the word pictures they paint. I've heard Bill Gaither say one of the greatest word picture songs of all time is the one written by Hank Williams Sr., "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry". He said they use that song when they teach would-be songwriters. The song was written in 1949, recorded by Hank that same year as the "B" side of "My Bucket's Got a Hole In It." One of its enduring features is how one can imagine what is being portrayed whether they have ever actually seen it. We recently heard it performed by a newly formed quartet of country and bluegrass artists accompanied by some outstanding studio musicians. It still works today:


I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams

[Verse 1]

Hear that lonesome whippoorwill

He sounds too blue to fly

The midnight train is whining low

I'm so lonesome I could cry


[Verse 2]

I've never seen a night so long

When time goes crawling by

The moon just went behind the clouds

To hide its face and cry


[Verse 3]

Did you ever see a robin weep

When leaves begin to die?

Like me, he's lost the will to live

I'm so lonesome I could cry


[Verse 4]

The silence of a falling star

Lights up a purple sky

And as I wonder where you are

I'm so lonesome I could cry

You can catch the new recording here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7pr7gI_Gs


Mr. Bentley and I are listening to it as we finish up today's edition. I also listened to the original recording by Hank Sr. It's also out on YouTube. I think that will do it for today. I do hope you will have a good day. One way to get one of those cranked up is to spend a little time dwelling on the goodness and grace of God along with how that manifests itself as blessings in life. Take care now, you hear? And, may God be with us all. Amen. ....More later. 

No comments: