Thursday, October 15, 2020

“Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff.” ― Richard Carlson, Ph.D.

Hello and welcome. Today is Thursday, October 15, 2020. The wife and I are supposed to get our flu shots today. We typically have to make an appointment, but, when I called in the lady said we could go directly to the pharmacy at the clinic and they would give them to us there. They are making it as convenient as possible this year. Sounded good, so, yesterday, we drove over to the clinic and found out the pharmacy was out of flu shot vaccine. They said the 'clinic' itself may have some but we would need to make an appointment for that. I took the bait and asked, "Why, then, did the lady tell us to drive over here and get our shots at the pharmacy?" The pharmacy tech smiled and said the lady would have no idea they were out. They recommended we go to the front check-in desk and see if we could get an appointment. My wife said no big deal but I will admit the whole thing was somewhat irritating to me. We had driven to get the shot and we had followed the instructions we were given. We were there. Customer service protocol would suggest they might have found a way to accommodate our situation, but, alas, we got ourselves signed up for today, she at 2:30 p.m. and me at 2:45 p.m. After all, we are retired and it gives something to do. Right? (Note to self. Memorize and put into practice the title quote on today's edition.)


The clinic we visited has a new way to check temperatures. When we walked through the door they had each of us stand in front of a monitor, the size of a computer tablet, mounted on a stand. It obviously had some type of camera because I could see myself on the screen. It was able to take our temp and we were admitted to the next step where they question you about symptoms. I don't know about you, but, a device that can read your body temperature via some type of image capture from about 2 feet away, well, that's pretty impressive. It reminded me of the old commercial, "Look Ma, no hands!" (I actually couldn't find the source for that one but it is stuck in my head.)  Just think. They can come up with smart devices like that but they can't figure out how to let the information hotline know when they are out of vaccine at the pharmacy. You do know I am joking about that. Well, to be honest, after the incident at the pharmacy, the thought did cross my mind. 


If I had inquired into the matter further I'm sure eventually I would have heard, "Sorry, but the Covid situation has created a lot of difficulties for us." I have mentioned before about how Covid has become the go-to excuse for just about any and everything. Don't take my word for it. Google it as an excuse and you will see millions of hits where this has become a major facet of today's world. We can no longer provide that service due to Covid. We are unable to respond promptly due to Covid. We are still struggling to recover from the setback we experienced from Covid. There are known cases where companies rushed to reduce staff as a business decision knowing they could connect it to Covid. The former chief of staff for President Obama, Rahm Emanuel, famously quoted others when he said, "You never let a serious crisis go to waste." The doing of just that did not originate with him. The blame game has been around a long time. In fact, Adam chose to blame his wife, Eve, for his failure to obey the Lord. In my more than 50 years of public work, I've seen this excuse mechanism used time and time again. Many times, these are contrived and they don't amount to more than "the dog ate my homework". Here's one I will try out on you. Some days my blog is not what I would like for it to be, I suppose the Covid thing has hampered my ability to do better. Sorry. I couldn't resist. Have yourself a most wonderful rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: