Monday, March 30, 2020

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God." ~ taken from the 20th division of the Psalms as rendered by the New Living Translation NLT

It's Monday folks, March 30, 2020, and another brand new work week is up and running, however, there are way too many of our fellow citizens who no longer have a workplace to go to. This is the direct fallout of the shutdown of our economy due to the Coronavirus. Different models produce varying responses in terms of predicting the timeline for this disease to peak and then begin to subside. The latest ones I have seen set forth the second week in April as when our country will experience the peak. The wife and I continue our self imposed quarantine as we attempt to do our part in not only protecting ourselves but, also in helping to stem the spread. We are doing our best to minimize any trips. The national and local government responses have sparked much debate regarding the level of control being exercised. Some think the lockdowns to be an invasion of our freedom. Others think the governing authorities should do more. I think, for the most part, they are doing what the so-called experts advise them to do. Many times this has been unchartered territory and that leads to either too much or too little. We have been called to pray for those who are making these decisions. Democrat, Republican, Independent, and any other designation, we pray that God would work in and through the governing process. Here is the inspired word of the Lord as given through the Apostle Paul writing to his faithful ministry partner, Timothy, "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth in Christ and not lying—a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth." (1st Timothy 2:1-7 as rendered in the New King James Version, NKJV)

Louisiana inspired survival kit.
Mr. Bentley decided he needed to go outside the other morning just after 2 a.m. That doesn't happen very often but he was adamant. I carried him out and we walked here and there as I waited for him to make up his mind when and where he would take care of his business. On the edge of the yard, we surprised two medium-sized armadillos. Mr. Bentley bowed up like he might do something to them. They have notoriously bad eyesight and so they started running. The problem was they were running towards us. That startled me a little since I was pretty much sleepwalking. Mr. Bentley continued to make noises and I jerked him out of the way and they headed for the woods next to our house. Later on, somewhere around daybreak, I was walking Mr. Bentley again and a huge robin sitting on the fence of our neighbor's yard began a song so loud it actually surprised me and I thought I might need some ear protection like they wear at the NASCAR race. He may have been warming up for the bird version of The Voice and he was only about 6 feet from me. I thought they were supposed to mostly go bob bob bobbin as opposed to trying to break the sound barrier. He must have sensed my lack of enthusiasm for his act and he, mercifully, flew off to find a better audience. I've seen that running of the bulls they do over in Spain but I didn't know we had the running of the armadillos right here in our area. The things that happen around this place. Something else, if you ask me.

Must be lots of ladies named Corona.
I heard someone saying that couples who are stuck at home during the pandemic should use their time to get to know one another better. We started dating in the summer of 1962. We were married in December of 1964. I appreciate the sentiment behind the suggestion, but, one of her favorite things to say over the years goes like this, "You are not fooling me, I know you like a book." (Be extremely familiar with or knowledgeable about; understand perfectly. ... The first of these hyperbolic idioms, dating from the early 1800s, has a close cousin in read you like a book, which means to discern someone's intent.) And, with us being connected just shy of 60 years on, I really can't argue with her assessment although if I recall I typically do argue. I will say this about that. We are now into our 3rd week of staying mostly at home and I can't really say exactly why but we have done very well together. There's probably a country song in there somewhere. If not, we may write one or two before this thing is over and done with. Something along the lines of, "We were close and happy but then Corona showed up and everything changed." I'll let you come up with a tune. You do know I am just having a little fun. Don't make too much fun of my songwriting since Corona is of Spanish origin and it is a name used for girls, meaning crown. See there? You actually do learn something new every day. Take care and may God bless us all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: