Wednesday, January 8, 2020

"Nothing is boring if you look at it carefully." ~ Freeman Dyson

As you can see, I did finish slinging enough stuff on to the electronic page, therefore, I called it a daily edition, and, now you have the opportunity to judge whether it was ready for publication or not. I do hesitate often in hitting the publish key. I know. Many of you could tell that was the case. I often read and reread my work, try to figure out how it might be improved, and, when I can't do that, I either delete it or do what I did today, send it out. This one comes to you on Wednesday, January 8, 2019. When I managed a large group of folks I was big on having annual themes. I always tried to find something that could resonate in our efforts to improve and enhance our contributions to the business. Doing our best was always on our minds. However, anyone can do their best and still not accomplish that which is needed or desired. I was thinking about this situation and I came up with the slogan, 'Doing the Right Things Right!'. I had that put on coffee mugs and gave one to every employee in my group. I think my grandfather instilled that in me. Hard work is good. A best effort is called for. However, it does little good if you don't produce the desired result. You can plan a trip meticulously and find the best routes and utilize the best driving techniques, but, if you end up at the wrong destination, it was all for naught. These are some of my thoughts about my writing each day. I want it to be interesting, readable, informative, and, often I do have an overall theme or purpose in mind. I need to find one of those mugs and start using it. Maybe it will help to keep me focused.

Occasionally, I go back and read some of the more than 3200 blogs I've written. At times, I am looking for a particular subject or event. At other times, I more or less land on one while looking for something else. Reading them again can produce a number of thoughts. Sure. I immediately spot an error or two or see something I could have said better. At the same time, I do see something that gives me some level of encouragement. I see a fair amount of consistency in the subject matters addressed over time. Family. Spiritual Matters. Humorous anecdotes. Work-related experiences. Politics. Day by day living. Health-related matters. And, a variety of this, that, and the other. I do know some things have changed along the way. Think about it. I was 61 years old when I published my first blog in this series. Today I seem to be picking up steam towards the 74 mark. At 61, I actually didn't even know a lot about the world of being older. And, I didn't think that much about it. Today, I don't have to think much about it because I am it. I am aware that consistency almost invariably produces repetitiveness. While I do try my best to make this less obvious, it is that way because when it is all said and done, it's my life and for better or worse, it ends up being what it is. The great Southern Gospel bass singer, the late George Younce, wrote this song and it speaks some to what I have been writing about today.

Yesterday

Yesterday things were different
Today they're different again
Jesus will never change
Jesus is always the same

The sparrow will find a new dwelling
The eagle will change its nest
But I'm holding on the changeless One
And I'm leaning on His breast

The river will change, change its course
The mountains may crumble and fall
Time will leave its mark, they say
Upon us one and all

Yesterday things were different
Today they're different again
Jesus will never change
Jesus is always the same

A lot of the stuff I write about comes from my bent towards introspection where one looks inward and thinks about their thoughts and feelings. From a philosophical viewpoint that sounds pretty good. In actual practice, I don't really know with any precision what it is that I do. I have mentioned many times about things I will not write about. They are there. They obviously, short of having a stroke or something, are not eligible to be deleted. If they were, they would have been gotten rid of a long time ago. I don't mention this to whet anyone's appetite. It only reminds us all that our lives are not one long tiptoe through the tulips because there are plenty of ditches and briar patches along the way. I will tell you one on myself that is quite funny. I have written, more than once, an entire blog about something I thought had happened. When I finished, I was pleased with it. Good stuff, as they say. When I began to proofread it, suddenly it dawned on me that what I had written about didn't happen at all. I laughed and laughed and then deleted it. Now you know what you are dealing with. You have what? A 1-800 hotline that might be able to help? Thanks. What I know about myself is they might would need to be there very early and stay all day if they are going to be able to help me. As George Younce put it in his song, the good news is how Jesus will never change, Jesus is always the same. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: