Friday, January 24, 2020

Chorus: "Thank you Lord, for saving my soul Thank you Lord, for making me whole; Thank you Lord, for giving to me Thy great salvation so rich and free. Thank you Jesus. Author: Seth Sykes (1892-1950). He and his wife Bessie were traveling evangelists based in Glasgow, Scotland. They traveled around the UK. Seth preached and wrote lyrics to many hymns. They used lantern slide shows to illustrate their message and draw people to their meetings.


Another week and another series of unfortunate outcomes for thousands of keystrokes, but, that hasn't stopped me yet. It is Friday, January 24, 2020, and I arrive today with a heart filled with gratitude and thankfulness. I mean that sincerely. Every day, I mean, every single day, I get new reminders that my body is not what it used to be. The other night I had a rare but horrible cramp in my left foot. It was drawn up and for a few seconds, I couldn't get it straightened out. Excruciating. But, finally, it did release its grip and I went back to sleep. As we were walking in the big mall, I told the wife my foot was still making noises and it reminded me of when I used to have a sprained ankle, that kind of pain when I would walk. Where does the heart filled with gratitude and thankfulness come into the picture? That cramp did pass. I was able to get up. My blood sugar reading was reasonably good. We traveled to the mall and we both were able to still walk two laps. In other words, the decline that began when I was born continues. However, God is still God, I still belong to Him, and He knows all about it, All. Everything. Nothing hidden. I can't count on me being able to do what I did even 10 years ago but I can always count on Him. That produces a heart filled with gratitude and thankfulness. Amen.

On this very day back in 2008 here is what was resonating with me: ~ I've had jet lag a number of times and I know how it feels. But never have I been so exhausted from the political fatigue I'm already experiencing with this run-up to the 2008 presidential election. On the Democratic side, there appears to be chaotic mudslinging between the Clinton Machine and Barak Obama's team. For the Republicans, there's no one in the race that even causes me to show even a modicum of interest. This is sad because I believe our country needs a Ronald Reagan type to stand up and be counted. I would even love to pull for someone who didn't have a shot but who had the qualities I look for but I don't find anyone of this caliber on either side. Even sadder, I can't really come up with a good name for a 'write-in' candidate. Some look forward to an independent showing up as the white knight to save the day but if it's Michael Bloomberg, well that would not be my idea of anything more than a liberal democrat dressed in a moderate suit and tie. I told my eldest son that I was thinking about doing a write-in and he said that if I did I would be wasting my vote. But would I be wasting my vote? Since I believe I am not alone in my assessment of those who are currently seeking the nomination, my fear is that many of us will just sit out the election altogether. Both parties are counting on a surge at the end which is to vote for their person primarily to keep the other person from getting in. This would be in keeping with the motto, 'anyone but....' which will be a prominent theme in this contest. ~

I have tried to do my civic duty by watching as much of the impeachment trial as I can. Doing that produces a feeling that reminds me of that little ditty from the Hee Haw TV program, "Gloom, despair, and agony on me ... Deep, dark depression, excessive misery ..." Can I get a witness? My thought at this time is consistent from when The House sent these articles over. Waste of time. It was leading up to them sending them over and it continues to be today. Biased? Absolutely! Aren't we all? Can you believe that one of The House managers actually told the jurors, 100 duly elected United States Senators: "I see a lot of senators voting for a cover-up, voting to deny witnesses, an absolutely indefensible vote, obviously a treacherous vote,..."? What a way to win over the jury! I do not believe the President will not come out of this unscathed. That was the original intent and was even said to be that by some of the leaders behind this farce. Maybe I am wrong but I think they know they have no shot at the ballot box with the folks they have contesting for the nomination. No shot. That means Trump would be reelected. They can't even tolerate the thought, therefore, impeachment. Now you have political wisdom being offered up by a fellow who quotes from Hee Haw to make his points. At that, I refer you back to the image above regarding the bucket of 100% mud. Now, have a great Saturday, and Lord's Day Sunday. See you next time, Lord willing. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: