Thursday, July 28, 2016

Preschool Song: "It is raining, It is raining, On my head, on my head. Pitter, patter raindrops, Pitter, patter raindrops, I'm all wet, I'm all wet!" ~ Unknown Author, Sung to "Frere Jacques"

Welcome to our little one-act play for today, being presented on this Thursday, July 28, 2016. I heard growing up how that some people didn't have enough sense to know when to come in out of the rain. I actually can identify with that statement. It has been nothing but hot here in these parts over the past several weeks. We've had a very occasional spotty shower here and there, but, for the most part, everything is in meltdown. The other day I needed several drawings printed out so I called up to the main office and asked them to print them for me. It was ten pages. While I was there fetching the printouts, the bottom fell out. It began to pour. I stood on the porch for a few minutes and then went back in and found a Wal-mart plastic bag. I folded up my drawings, put them into the plastic bag, and took off walking back to my office. It was raining hard. I was getting wet. I not only didn't have enough sense to come in out of the rain, I actually was very much enjoying it. I ended up being wet but not soaked completely. Here's what I discovered. The A/C works much better after you've been out in the rain. In spite of some strange looks on the part of some of our workers, I actually felt very refreshed. Even though I love that dancing in the rain scene by Gene Kelly in the great 1952 movie, "Singing in the Rain," I didn't do any of that, I just slowly walked through the happy, happy liquid falling from the sky.

I follow a number of different posters on Twitter. One is a fellow who is in ministry but he likes to poke fun at Church related activities. He operates under the name, Back Row Baptist. You can locate him under that hashtag. Here's one he put up the other day that brought a chuckle from me: "My church accidentally scheduled a bake sale and a Weight Watchers meeting for the same night. There were no survivors." A few more from his page: ~ "Hello, you have reached Moses. I'm out at the moment, but if you leave a message, I'll return your call within roughly 40 years." ~ "I live every day likes it's my last. Which is why I haven't updated the church's website since 2007."  ~ "Happy 3rd birthday to that half empty bottle of french dressing in the side panel of the Church fridge!" ~ "I'm so saved, I won't even play Gin Rummy, in case one of my friends is struggling with alcoholism." ~ "Welcome to our church! Here's the seating chart. You can see all the best seats are reserved, but you can sit in the front row." ~ I realize that some of these are insider jokes, and, they, for the most part, are not roll-on-the-floor funny. Yet, I don't know about you, but, things like this do help to lighten the load a tad along the way. They also have a ring of truth to them and that always helps. On a side note, I enjoy stand up comedy, but, the stuff by those who are popularly acclaimed out on YouTube are so filthy I end up shutting them down almost from the get go. Fortunately, there are some clean ones including those identified by their faith. These include Mark Lowry, Tim Hawkins, Chonda Pierce, Michael Junior, Ken Davis, Taylor Mason, Brad Stine, Rich Praytor, Thor Ramsey, Jeff Allen, Aaron Wilburn, and I would also add the late Jerry Clower to this grouping. All of those on this list are available on YouTube.

I'm doing my best to keep everything lighthearted for today. I'm working at it. Staying away from politics and our chaotic disintegrating world is not easy, but, I'm trying. Here are some random memes I saw on a blog posting. The memes were unattributed as they had come from various sources. ~ "Unless you fell off your treadmill and smacked your face, no one wants to hear about your workout." ~ "Negative people have a problem for every solution." ~ "I'm so thankful I had a childhood before technology took over." ~ "The older I get, The surer I am That I'm not running the show." ~ "Some days the memories just knock the wind out of me." ~ "If I had my life to live over, I would find you sooner so that I could love you longer." ~ (If that were true for the wife and I we would have needed to have met while we were both in diapers.) ~ "Have you ever had a memory that sneaks out of your eye and rolls down your cheek?" ~ Maybe one of those had something to say to you. Several got my attention. I suppose it proves the fact that today's short attention span causes us to live mostly with a bumper sticker mentality. You know. Tweets can only be 140 characters long. No wonder I don't do a lot of tweets. That's not even enough time for me to come up for air. Oh well, hope you and yours will have a blessed day. Until next time, may God provide for us all is my prayer. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: