Friday, July 22, 2016

"I think fear is what keeps us from going over the edge. I mean, as a race car driver, I don't think what makes a good race car driver is a fearless person. I think it's somebody that is comfortable being behind the wheel of something that's somewhat out of control." ~ Jeff Gordon

Good morning and welcome to a bad news-good news story on this Friday, July 22, 2016. The bad news is that Nascar's most popular driver, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., is unable to race due to complications from a crash related concussion. He will be okay, but, it will take some time. This weekend he will have a replacement driver to fill in for him. Not just any replacement driver. This is the good news part of the story. Jeff Gordon is coming out of retirement to drive the next two races, at Indianapolis, and at Pocono. I am somewhat excited about this since I followed Jeff for many years when he was actively racing. I am very excited about getting to see him race again. He leads all drivers in wins at Indy, kissing the bricks a total of 5 times. He is also a 5-time winner at Pocono. Now that's what I call a good fill in driver. I will do my best, if I can, to watch both of those races. You can count on it. I know it will not be easy for him since they have significantly changed the downforce characteristics of the cars since he left. I know many of you could really not care at all about this, but, it matters to me, and as you well know, I typically write about things that are of interest to me. Please bear with me, and in the meantime, you have my permission to pull for Dale Jr.'s number 88 for at least the next two weeks.

I think that might be the first NASCAR comment I've made in quite a long time. I have been watching off and on. My wife would say more on than off. I haven't decided what driver, if any, I will follow to take Jeff's place, but, I suppose, after more than 15 years of watching, it obviously has become somewhat of a part of my routine. I actually thought I would walk away from it when Jeff retired. I was at Church Wednesday evening so I missed the Eldora truck race on dirt. That is always a fun race to watch. I did, however, listen to a replay of it on satellite radio on my way into work Thursday morning. 'Somewhat of a part of my routine.' I mean it when I say I am not fanatical about it. I promise you I am not. If I miss a race, I miss it. The other day I heard a sports radio guy giving some advice to his football-loving audience. He said that summer was the time to do those 'family' things to make them happy with you as you prepare to be absent from that world for many months when the training, pre-season, and the season starts. Absent? He was dead serious. That struck me as being not only absurd but demeaning to men in general. I would hope that for most men that family would come first, no matter what. Period, end of story.

The Republicans have finished their week and next up is the Democratic National Convention. Mark my words. The coverage will be different. The news media will do everything they can to see Hillary Clinton elected. They will. They really don't have a choice. The progressive liberal mindset dominates most of the major news sources, therefore, they will favor the person with the most progressive credentials. They have to. It's in their DNA. You can quote me on that. What is my interest in what will be televised from Philadelphia? Maybe I can find a station running the old TV test pattern to watch. I know. Now my DNA is showing up. It does act up now and then. The good news is that we have Saturday, and Lord's Day Sunday to look forward to. Our local fellowship is planning a big baptismal service for Sunday evening. Over ten people will publicly testify to the change Jesus has made in their hearts by following Him in Scriptural baptism. That is exciting, folks. Very exciting indeed! This has been some week. We have had some spotty showers around and that has been wonderful when we were blessed to be the recipients. The other day we had one of those 15-minute rain-as-hard-as-it-can downpours at the house. The temperature went from 96 to 83 in a matter of minutes. I'll take as much of that as I can get at this time of year. Here's the deal. Have yourself a wonderful weekend, and, with God's help, I'll do my best to show up early next Monday morning. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: