Thursday, July 7, 2016

“I learned there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead, others come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me.” – Dr. Seuss

Today we continue the journey. We seek to do the best we can with the day before us, this one happens to be on Thursday, July 7, 2016. I have been a political junkie for most of my life. Back in the day when I would arrive home from a long day in downtown Houston, our youngest would see me come in the door and he would begin to wail about how I would now want them to change the channel. I typically always tried to catch the MacNeil-Lehrer Newshour on PBS. During my sojourn on the planet, I've been witness to some pretty amazing happenings. The civil rights battles. The killing of President John F. Kennedy. The killing of Martin Luther King. The downfall of President Nixon. The Reagan years. The Clintons. The Bush years. The Obama presidency. I pretty much have kept up with as much detail as I could regarding these and many other political happenings. I look at the landscape today with the looming contest between Clinton and Trump, and to be completely honest, I wonder if I am losing my appetite for all things political. I don't even know how to explain what I am seeing. Every day. It's amazing but not in a good way. Be sure that I know that God is ultimately in control but I'm just a man trying to make any sense at all in what I am seeing. Thus far, I haven't been able to do that. Maybe that's it. I've always been able in one way or another to come to some rational understanding in the past. Not now. I do know this. I well understand the attitude of those who long for it all to just go away. Let Rodney know that I am no longer interested in seeing the Newshour broadcast. Help us Lord. Amen.

Sorry if that's a downer but I found myself singing that familiar oldie today, "It's my blog and I'll cry if I want to." What? You've never heard that one? Where in the world have you been? You may need to get our more. I used to pity those who operated in a more or less clueless mindset. They seemed to be oblivious to all that was happening around them. I'm not so sure they are the ones to be pitied. As they say, whoever they are, "Oh well, it is what it is." Now that is an astute observation. I would suppose those selling survivalist, end of the world, get out of Dodge, types of supplies and accessories will be doing a booming business in the current upside down environment we are living in. I have no plans to purchase any of their materials. At the end of my way, my thoughts, and my abilities to reason it all out, I have to yield to His way, His thoughts, and His perfect understanding of it all. Faith. You know. The substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews Chapter 11) We often hear the expression about some major cataclysmic event being referred to as being of Biblical proportions. Well, that, to me, is a very accurate description of what we are seeing today. However, when you think about God's Sovereign plan and purpose, well, I suppose since all of what happens is in His hands, it all fits that explanation of being of Biblical proportions. Just thinking out loud here. Do what? Maybe I could turn the volume down a little? Maybe. Maybe not.

I know I've been somewhat uncorked today but it's mostly by default as opposed to design. I turned on the faucet and this is what came out: Rambling Prose. I can remember as a kid how my mom and my grandparents were unsettled by all the racial tension being played out on the daily evening news. (Huntley and Brinkley, NBC, Channel 5, Alexandria, La., the only channel we could get clearly and that was with a huge antenna.) My folks were concerned for the future of their children and grandchildren. They were concerned for the welfare of our nation. I picked up on that. There was a sense of not knowing what to expect and more directly, how it would impact them and their families. That old saying, the more things change it is the more they stay the same. Bingo! Only, to me, our situation today is even more unsettling. Back then I could always count on the long train coming through at night to help rock me to sleep. Nowadays, it is mostly one long nightmare brought on by one trainwreck after another. And, that my friend, is why we need to trust in the Lord with every fiber of our being. I know that's what I need to do and I have confidence that He cares and He can help. I think I'm done for today, you know, as in, stick a fork in it done. Take care. Look up. Our redemption draws near. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: