Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Let's all try to be more thankful!

Here we are again on a Tuesday and it's a good day to be thanking God as we prepare for the Thanksgiving Holiday season on this November 3, 2009. With all the economic pressures and the wars and rumors of wars that dominate the news we hear each day, it can be easy to forget to remember to be thankful for all that God has done, is doing, and all that He will do as we make our way homeward, to our real home, that land where there will be no more tears, Beulah Land, our heavenly home. Yesterday, today, and forever, we who know Christ as Savior can be thankful for God's working on our behalf and His blessings upon our nation, our families, and our future. In the midst of troubles and trials a spirit of thankfulness is not always the first thought we have but knowing that God knows and cares and that He is faithful always gives us something to be thankful for!

Take today for instance. I am very thankful that my left eye is able to stay open. Last Saturday evening I did a trial run in my Santa face for the Fall Festival at our local fellowship of believers. I was the official greeter working out under the canopy for a couple of hours. Some of our guys were back on our property trying to get some stumps fired up for a bonfire later in the evening. Meanwhile, it was like a fog of smoke out there and I guess my left eye didn't care for it too much. By Sunday morning I was dealing with a major allergic reaction in that eye. It was very painful and nearly completely shut by Monday morning, but, of course, I came to work anyway. I suppose I did get a huge dose of stubbornness from my mom and her dad! It was difficult to drive. That's how bad it both hurt and blurred my vision. But thank God I made it okay and made it most of the day. I have taken some allergy medicine and I did pray much about it. Today it may not be 100% but it is so much better and I am thankful to God for the medicine and for His hearing of my prayers. Oh, you think He heard your silly little prayer about your left eye? I most certainly do and I am thankful that He not only knows the number of hairs on our head but He cares about all things that concern us.

I do love thinking about the wonderful foods that we will be enjoying during the Thanksgiving Day Holiday. I can hardly wait to be with family at this special time where we get together and honor God for His provisions by being thankful. A heart filled up with gratitude should be our daily testimony. But, alas, we get bogged down with all the stuff that flies around us and we end up forgetting to remember to be thankful. All that we are and all that we have and all that we will ever become is because of the grace of our great God. Grace tells us that we do not deserve any of what we have received but He has given it to us freely and because of this how could we be anything other than thankful to Him? And, being thankful to God and to others makes our lives so much richer and provides a great way of reaching others through our testimony of thankfulness. Yes, He does recognize when a sparrow falls and He also is aware when the swelling goes down in Santa's left eye! May He be praised for all He does for us all! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: