Friday, November 13, 2009

Happy Birthday to our Lexie Dee!

Good Friday morning and welcome to Poppy’s corner where on this November 13, 2009 I am rehearsing the birthday of another of our very special granddaughters. Our Lexie will be nine tomorrow and we are planning on being with her tonight to celebrate her birthday. My boys will attest to the fact that I was much too busy when they were young to notice all the nuances of how they differed but now being an old codger, I am able to concentrate more on their children. Lexie, like each of our grandchildren, is a one-of-a-kind. She is an original original. Born with a smile that would light up any room she carries well the name (Dee) of her mom's deceased mom. Her first few years were spent entertaining everyone with her natural sharp wit and comedic timing. You could not be around our Lexie without soon finding a reason to laugh.

Now she is becoming a more thoughtful young lady who has developed a sense of the serious to go a long with her bubbly personality. She has a natural talent for softball, she is an excellent student, and she also loves to spend time with her friends. She will always be special to us because that’s how it works. You would have to spend time with her to see what I mean, or maybe you would just have to be her silly Poppy, a designation I hear quite often. Being called silly at my age is not that big of a deal, especially when it’s all about how I connect to my grandchildren.

The other night I called Lexie to talk to her about her birthday. When she answered she immediately asked if I wanted to talk to her dad. I told her that I actually wanted to talk to her. Her little brother Brady was doing his thing in the background and dad Rodney was hollering at him, so Lexie found a quieter place so we could talk. She gave me an idea about a gift she would like and we also talked about where she would like to go to dinner. She thought about that for a couple of days and we now have a location where we all will be meeting tonight. It was a ‘Lexie’ conversation: polite, sweet, and thoughtful. Joy comes in all shapes and sizes and this young lady came bundled with an overflow capacity and we thank God for her. Happy Birthday Lexie from your MiMi and Poppy! May God bless you! Amen. …..More later.

1 comment:

Rodney said...

God sent her to us.. and we are forever thankful.