Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Delightful Delusion!

Welcome to my world where I am very much enjoying this 40 degree morning as visions of sugarplums dance in my head. This is a great way to embark upon this Tuesday, November 17, 2009. I haven’t commented on my Santa progress lately but that miracle grow is really working on my beard! I have now officially booked my first professional gigs at two different locations of a national fast food chain where I will be doing a Breakfast with Santa event. These came to me by word of mouth and it fits well my approach since I am more or less letting things play out on their own. I know it may sound strange but periodically when I catch a glimpse of my image in a mirror the first thought I have is: SANTA. Now that’s pretty scary, don’t you think? I know I used the words on my Santa business card: featuring the real Santa, but surely it was an advertising touch, right? I sure hope I don’t end up with one of those psychotic disorders where I begin thinking I actually am the dude from the North Pole. I’ve heard about people who begin to believe they are someone else like Napoleon, or Hitler, or even Jesus Christ. Many who know me would agree that making such a leap within the fragile moorings of my mental state would be a very short trip indeed.

Okay, mom, don’t call 9-1-1 because it’s all in fun, I think. Santa would not really look that good in a straight jacket. Folks are beginning to notice. One lady that works with my wife saw a recent photo and said she could not believe how much I really look like ‘him’. Our daughter-in-law Mitzi wants me, in full costume, along with my wife, Mrs. Claus, to pose with our grand kids, Kyleigh, Lexie, and Brady, for their annual Christmas card. I will have to do some training with the wife to get her ready for this charade but she’s been known to cook up some pretty mean Christmas candies, and no one loves to give gifts more than her. Come to think about it she also loves to receive them as well. Note to self: Hide her “I want it all” Christmas sweatshirt.

Last Friday evening we had a wonderful dinner with our birthday girl, Lexie. The photo is one taken by my wife of Lexie and I and she also put it up on her Facebook page. Several have commented on Santa and our beautiful granddaughter. We had a blast. This past Saturday and Sunday I visited my wife at the big mall to watch her eat her lunch. She has thirty minutes and I typically find her something to eat and get there a few minutes early. The mall is beginning to begin to look a lot like Christmas and from the occasional eye contact and response of some beautiful little ones, I think I must be beginning to begin to look more and more like ‘you know who’. The parents do not notice as much as they hurry by to hurry up doing whatever it is they have on their agenda. But it is becoming more frequent to have a little boy or girl in a stroller give me that big-eyed gushy smile of acknowledgement. As folks say today when something pleasing happens: That’s pretty cool. Being the reason for a child’s smile may be the greatest blessing that comes from this particular wacky episode of my sojourn here. Okay, that’s enough for today, and I do need to get back to practicing my “ho ho ho’s”! May God bless each one. Amen. ……..More later.

No comments: