Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Slow Vehicle on the Information Super Highway!

Welcome to Wednesday, July 9th. There are an estimated 100 million blogs out on the great information super highway that we call the internet. If only half of them are personal types of blogs like mine, that means there are 50 million folks clanging on their keyboards on some kind of schedule to provide information, news, and other tidbits for friends, family, and others who read their blogs. Yesterday I posted my 300th episode and it is mind boggling or mind blogging to consider just how much information is available these days. These numbers sound astronomical but when you consider that we are fast approaching 7 billion folks who populate the planet and it is estimated that only about 20% actively use the internet, the information highway could become much more crowded as we move forward. However, 20% is nothing to sneeze at when you consider that it reflects nearly a billion and one half people reading stuff like my blog.

North America has the largest penetration of access with 75% of our people with an ability to use the internet. But, because of our lower population, North America only accounts for about 17% of the worldwide internet usage. Yes, the Virgina Slims commercial which encouraged women to smoke had it right, in many ways, "We have come a long way, baby." However, whenever you consider how much internet traffic is generated by less than desirable types of materials and activities, we see there is both the potential for good and for evil. I am very thankful to have been able to use this forum for sharing my life with those who read my blog. I actually forward it each day to a total of 16 recipients. I know there are others in our local Church and some who have found it by accident who also read it from time to time. My purpose has been to encourage and give hope as we all make our way through this journey called life. Some might think me to be too preachy but I cannot deny who I am and my view of what I write about has been shaped by my relationship with Jesus Christ.

I do hope that no one who reads my blogs will ever think that I write what I do as someone who believes they have arrived, or that I live a happy go lucky life where there's always a parking spot that opens up next to the front door just as I drive by. No, I gladly confess that I am at best a fellow struggler who deals with many heartaches, pains, and challenges each and every day. I have found that this life can be tough and it mostly is tough. However, that doesn't mean we are without purpose or hope. The email I sent with my blog yesterday had this sentiment in its title: The Gospel: One beggar telling another beggar where to find the Bread of Life. In essence, that's what my 300 blogs have been about because that's what we as believers are called to do, share the Source of our strength with a lost and dying world. I actually know a handful of folks who have read all 300 of my blogs and I thank God for our connection as a result of this communication chain. I love good stories and I love to laugh. I hope some of what I have written has met both of these standards. My prayer is that God will use all that I do including this daily dialogue to encourage us all as we seek to please Him with the lives He has given to us. And, never forget what the title implies, it is after all what it is, "The View From Here." Have a great rest of the week and may God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: