Friday, July 25, 2008

I Hear A Voice Saying: "Slow Down A Little!"

July 25, 2008, is it Friday already? This has been one of those weeks where my work cup runneth over. I’m beginning to think I’m getting too old for this daily grind of heads down twelve hour days dealing with scheduling, coordination, deadlines, projects, problems, and pressures. At the same time I am so very thankful to God that on some days I’m actually able to look in my rear view mirror and see that quite a lot of progress has been made. Let me be clear. I am not required to be here twelve hours each day but that’s how I have chosen to do what I do. It may be that I will, by necessity, eventually have to adjust this self-imposed schedule. We’ll have to see about that as we move on down the road. (I pretty much keep the same routine on my days off, so, there you have it!)

I have always resisted the term workaholic because I do not believe it comes anywhere close to describing my approach to work. Intense? Yes. Committed? Yes. Stubbornly determined? Possibly. However, using a twist on a Biblical metaphor, perhaps my thinking is stronger than my physical can deliver, (spirit is willing but the flesh is weak). Or maybe as my grandfather used to tell us kids, perhaps I’ve reached that time when my eyes are bigger than my stomach. In other words, maybe I can no longer consume or digest as much as I once could, but at this point and time, I choose to continue to persist in trying.


I am very fortunate to work at a place where there is much laughter to go along with the tension and tough stuff that’s a part of every work environment. I love the camaraderie here, the banter, and the joking. I also have been privileged to work for a man who exemplifies in word and deed a Godly approach to conducting his business. He’s not perfect but he doesn’t have any perfect employees either, including me! (Sorry to disappoint you.) But what a joy it is to have this common connection that transcends the employer, employee relationship because we are brothers in Christ. This is enough to get anyone up and going each day! Yes, I am blessed far beyond what I deserve and I thank God each day for His grace, mercy, and care. Now it’s time for Saturday and Sunday where I will be doing my best to spend time with my personal family and my Church family. Try to do the same because it is good for the body, soul, and spirit! See you next Monday and may God bless! Amen. …..More later.

No comments: