Monday, July 21, 2008

Radical Change But Still the Same!

It’s Monday, July 21, 2008, welcome to the ‘new’ me! Life presents us with many opportunities, challenges, and decisions. This past weekend I made a choice to change my lifestyle significantly by having my head shaved. This will greatly facilitate my current schedule needs and make my life somewhat less complicated, however, it will be left up to me to use any time I gain back for productive and useful purposes. I have updated my photo and for some it will be a big shock. I know the bald look is popular and our eldest son has sported that look for a number of years. I used software and print morphing to put my face into a number of bald looks for my wife to examine before making this change. When she looked at the examples she had a very funny look on her face but in the end she was supportive and the result as they say, at least at this time, is history.

This is not to say that the maintenance is now zero. It will have to be shaved on some routine as well as daily shaving where my face once carried a full beard but now only a mustache and goatee. From a practical standpoint, I know many folks will immediately think that perhaps I am being treated for some dread disease. But, the truth be known, we are who we are, hair or no hair, and hopefully, if we live from the inside out, the real person will be recognized as one who tries to please God and help others. Of course being the student I am I have researched quite a bit about the process and how others have approached this change. At this stage in my life it appeared to be an option that had merit so we decided to go for it.

I have discovered that you have to take special care when out in the sun and many speak about how much colder they get since shedding their locks. At one time that would have been great news to me but I’m not sure it is anymore. Some have to shave their head twice a week and I certainly hope I can go longer than that. One of the reasons I had to move quickly was due to the fact my driver’s license photo had to be updated since I’ve renewed it for as many times as they will allow. Now the new ‘me’ will at least favor the photo on the license, (the previous one was before I became gray and was taken on a day when it looked like I was one of those celebrity arrest mugshots), which just might come in handy in proving I am who I am. Just joking, but it was one of the timing considerations.

I’m not sure I will be blogging any differently in my new ‘Kojak’ look but change in one area does often bring changes in other areas. I know it will be an adjustment for my family, especially my grand kids, but again, they will quickly recognize that while Poppy has a different look, he’s still the same old Poppy! Not too long ago our eldest mentioned there was a new seniors lifestyle apartment complex opening up out in their general area with some fairly low rentals for small units. He said he had a brochure he had saved for us. Welcome to the future! We may not be interested but it’s obvious there will be more and more of these type of considerations as we become more and more an official part of the AARP universe! Go ahead and laugh, that’s the only way we will be able to deal with it! Have a great week and may God bless! Amen. ….More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Al! I'm proud of you for 'stepping out' from your comfort zone! At first I wondered whose picture you had on your page, maybe a link to a writer you enjoy :) I even asked, 'why didn't he post a picture of the new him?'. that's when it was pointed out you were, indeed, right there before me.
Enjoy the new look.
Sharon